Sequential file problem

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sourabhverma
Participant

Sequential file problem

Post by sourabhverma »

Hi Everybody,

I have one seq file of 200-250 records, and one of the columns is time column having different values like '14:58:59'. I also have one oracle table with three records like
Col1 Col2
15:00:00 PM, A
17:00:00 PM, B
19:00:00 PM, C

Now i want to compare every time field of file with the time field of oracle table such that :

if File.Time > 15:00:00 And File.Time < 17:00:00 then A
if File.Time > 17:00:00 And File.Time < 19:00:00 then B
if File.Time > 19:00:00 then C

For this i have wrote one transformation routine where i am taking all three records of table in one seq file and in routine reading that file and putting Col1 values in one array & Col2 values in second array.
Then for every incoming time field i am comparing it with Array 1 values & returning corresponding Array2 values.
Is this right way or some other ways are also possible.

Any solution will be appreciable.
Thanks,
Sourabh Verma
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Don't see a 'sequential file problem' here. :wink:

There's no 'right' way and there's always other ways possible. To me, the questions are: does this technique work for you? Is it efficient or at least efficient enough to not jeopardize your SLA? If so, then it's as right as any other solution.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sourabhverma
Participant

Post by sourabhverma »

Sorry for mentioning the subject as "sequential file problem". actually i was not getting the exact sub for the same.
As far as your ques are concerned, i am getting the desired results through my approach but i was looking for some other ways which can be more efficient & simple.
Thanks,
Sourabh Verma
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Here is a techinque from Ken Bland that I've used to great effect. Nutshell: a single cached hashed file record with 'arrays' like you are using to do your range check via the Locate function.

The explanation is a little long, but the basics are pretty easy to grasp. You could short-cut some of the setup tasks since you've got such a small volume of data to 'rollup' - the end result would be very efficient.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

For only three distinct values I would not bother with the Oracle table at all, unless the time ranges were likely to change - I'd just use a simple If..Then..Else construct.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.