ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DeepakCorning »

While running a job I am getting this error for each row which it is trying to insert in an oracle Database --

I searched the forum but they have resultions like "timeout" or check connectivity. I have checked both of them and they are fine.

The job is very simple (and further simplified it by reducing it to source from a flat file and insert in to the table). But still i keep on getting the same error.

Is it with the table setting in the Database or I should be looking somewhere else? Thanks for the help..
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

This error, basically tells you that there was a communication problem between your oracle client and database. For more info, search on the error code in google. Like this for instance.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ivannavi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ivannavi »

Do you have some other job that works well with this database?
Can you read some data from the database using Datastage(try an Oracle stage with an output link and then click view data)?
Can you connect to the database from the Datastage machine using SQLplus?
irajasekharhexa
Premium Member
Premium Member

i think this helps

Post by irajasekharhexa »

ivannavi wrote:Do you have some other job that works well with this database?
Can you read some data from the database using Datastage(try an Oracle stage with an output link and then click view data)?
Cause: The connection between Client and Server process was broken.
Action: There was a communication error that requires further investigation. First, check for network problems and review the SQL*Net setup. Also, look in the alert.log file for any errors. Finally, test to see whether the server process is dead and whether a trace file was generated at failure time.

Deepak pls check and let me know if it works fine

Thanks
Rajasekhar
DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DeepakCorning »

Yes to all...
DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: i think this helps

Post by DeepakCorning »

irajasekharhexa wrote:
Cause: The connection between Client and Server process was broken.
Action: There was a communication error that requires further investigation. First, check for network problems and review the SQL*Net setup. Also, look in the alert.log file for any errors. Finally, test to see whether the server process is dead and whether a trace file was generated at failure time.

Deepak pls check and let me know if it works fine

Thanks
Raja , Yeah i got this from the oracle site , but nope I do not think this is the issue..The SQL net works fine and all other jobs work fine with thsi DB..
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Is this a recurring issue with this partuicular job?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DeepakCorning »

Yes , it is showing me the same error everytime i run it. As a matter of fact I wa snot able to run this job successfully even once.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

For testing purposes, run the job with a row limit set to 1. See what happens.
What kind of update action do you have in the target OCI stage? Are you using generated sql or user defined?
DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DeepakCorning »

Row limit set to 1 - Same Error.
I introduced a seq file in between the trans and target stage - Same error
Removed all other stages and just kept the seq file and Target stage - Same error
Using generated SQL , Update Action is Update or Insert.

Target stage is a DRS stage.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Delete the job. Create a new one. Use odbc stage, just for testing purposes. See if the error persists. This is really odd. You said you have other jobs that connect to the same database without any issues right, then why this one.
DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DeepakCorning »

Thats what is bugging me :cry:

Let me try.. Also someone to,ld me that the generated SQL may be too long .. but thats also not the case..
mctny
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by mctny »

DeepakCorning wrote:Thats what is bugging me :cry:

Let me try.. Also someone to,ld me that the generated SQL may be too long .. but thats also not the case..
Is it possible that your SQL or this particular job ending your connection with oracle, ?
Thanks,
Chad
Premium Member

Post by DeepakCorning »

mctny wrote: Is it possible that your SQL or this particular job ending your connection with oracle, ?
How is that possible ? (Sorry I have very less knowlegde of this)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Might your data contain any special characters, such as EOT (end of transmission), EOF (end of file), etc., that might cause the connection to be interrupted?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.