DataStage vs COBOL

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vnspn
Participant

DataStage vs COBOL

Post by vnspn »

Hi,

We are planning to build a new application using DataStage for transforming the data based on the business need. A part of the application is already available in Mainframes on COBOL programs.

As investment in DS is a big decision, our boss puts questions like what are the advantages of designing the new application on DataStage instead of enhancing the existing one on the Mainframes. He thinks of, apart from GUI interface what would be the benefit of switching to the DS platform.

He questions that COBOL too processes the records sequentially, the way DS is going to handle it. What all would be the reasons to substantiate / justify that going into DataStage platform is better than programming in COBOL. Please provide your ideas / suggestions.

Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No advantage at all in moving to DataStage, if you have, and will continue to have, the skilled resources to maintain the COBOL applications. Can that be guaranteed? It's more likely, in ten years time, that there will be a big pool of DataStage developers around than a big pool of COBOL programmers.

Then again, COBOL has proven remarkably resilient over the years, and was given a big boost by the Y2K non-event.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Agreed. Use DataStage 390 when you have no COBOL programming resources available, that's where the advantage lies.

Amazing... COBOL was a 'dead' language way back when I was doing it in the 80's. The main processing systems here are all 'COBOL over Oracle' behemoths. Make that more like UNdead! :shock:

[grrrr!!! argggg!!]
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

DS390 is better in a way to maintain and build the code easily.. ultimately it generates the COBOL code which needs to be executed in mainframes like anyother COBOL code.. but in terms of development its much easier I believe..
IHTH
Krish..
Kris

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Don't forget DataStage for Unix System Services on the mainframe. This is a massively parallel product that really leverages the muscle of a mainframe and does not need to generate COBOL code. Might be cheaper than the 360 and you can leverage it for off mainframe processing as well.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

:lol: The only place you're going to find a 360 these days is in a museum! (Probably in the archaeology department!) I can remember.....
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Jorn
Participant

Post by Jorn »

we are in a big project now to replace cobol with DataStage, and we are also moving the application to AIX, which is cheaper than MVS platform.

The main reasons for moving ang using datastage

Documentation.
Metadata.
Easier to maintain end enhance in the future.
Reasorses/programers in the future.

But we are not replacing all the cobol/JCL at once but running the cobol/jcl from datastage and implemeting all new functionality through datastage.
Jørn Mjøster
system architect
intelcom Norway

www.intelcom.no
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ray.wurlod wrote::lol: The only place you're going to find a 360 these days is in a museum!
Hey, I've got one down in my living room. Err... wait...
-craig

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Jorn wrote:we are in a big project now to replace cobol with DataStage, and we are also moving the application to AIX, which is cheaper than MVS platform.
The migration to another platform is key in your decision. For someone not changing platforms (like the OP) and needing to continue to maintain / enhance their existing COBOL with their existing pool of COBOL coders... I don't really see the need. YMMV.
-craig

DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

So Craig, you have a 360 huh, you seem more like a, WII person :wink:
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'd have one of those, too, if I could find one in a dang store. :evil:

And btw... what's a "Wii person"? A leprechaun?
-craig

DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Not in stores yet, they are all over the place. Ok well I am more like an internet shopper so they are present online.
A Wii person is more like....I dont know, just a Wii person :?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Nac Mac Feegle!

(The Wee Free Men)