Error Connecting from Client in Windows to DS Server in Unix

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ds_ram
Participant

Error Connecting from Client in Windows to DS Server in Unix

Post by ds_ram »

Hi DS Gurus,
We have our DS Server installed on a unix box. The client on windows machines. We are able to ping the unix box from the client machine.
But when we tried to connect the server for the first time to create projects we are not able to do. It is throwing the message "host is not responding" error code 81011. The dsrpcd service is running.
But still we are not able to connect. Can anyone help us on this?[/color]
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

What sort of security software do you have installed on either the PC, network or UNIX host that might block off traffic? That would be my first thought. You can enter a DOS command "telnet <unixhost>" on the PC to see if telnet works to your DataStage server.
ds_ram
Participant

Post by ds_ram »

Hi,
I am able to ping using telnet.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

But are you able to telnet to the DataStage server? That was the question.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

ds_ram wrote:Hi,
I am able to ping using telnet.
I've never heard of software that can do that, ds_ram. Both "ping" and "telnet" are separate utilities and your system might be blocking telnet and DS ports while allowing the TCP/IP level "ping" go through.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage clients connect via port # 31538. Check that this port number is open through your firewall.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ds_ram
Participant

Post by ds_ram »

i am able to ping the DS Server
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The ping utility tells you nothing more than that the server machine is visible on the network. In particular, it tells you nothing about software.

Can you connect via telnet?

If so, can you verify whether the dsrpcd process is running?

Code: Select all

ps -ef | grep dsrpcd | grep -v grep
If dsrpcd is, in fact, running (as you asserted earlier), the next thing to check is your firewall configuration - it must allow requests on port number 31538 to pass.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ds_ram
Participant

Post by ds_ram »

ray.wurlod wrote:The ping utility tells you nothing more than that the server machine is visible on the network. In particular, it tells you nothing about software.

Can you connect via telnet?

If so, can you ve ...

I am able to Telnet to the DataStage Server from my client PC. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
The dsrpcd is runing on the server. I am able stop and start the server wiith the following commands. (it asks for dsadm password)

$DSHOME/bin/uv -admin -stop

$DSHOME/bin/uv -admin -start
ds_developer
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ds_developer »

Did you telnet using the server name or an IP? Due to network/domain issues I have to use the IP when I login to DataStage from my workstation.

You might try typing in the IP as the Host Name.

John
ds_ram
Participant

Post by ds_ram »

ds_developer wrote:Did you telnet using the server name or an IP? Due to network/domain issues I have to use the IP when I login to DataStage from my workstation.

You might try typing in the IP as the Host Name.

John
It did not help John. I tried that. Thanks.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

ds_ram,

Ray already suggested you check to see if you have security software and if so, to see if it is blocking the DataStage port. Have you checked with your system administrator? Also, have you used the default port or chosen another, in which case you need to specify the port in the datastage client login string.
ds_ram
Participant

Post by ds_ram »

Hi,
We are able to ping the port using telnet. The port is opening without any issuse. But not able to login.
vipshiva
Participant

Post by vipshiva »

Check whether any firewall restrictions are there for your server ip?....
ds_ram
Participant

Post by ds_ram »

vipshiva wrote:Check whether any firewall restrictions are there for your server ip?....
I am not usre whether it is a firewall issue. The default port is open. It is a sun solaris server. How can I check whether my server uses PAM authentication or not? If so I need to configure that isn't it? The error message userid and password invalid is not helping much.

Thanks,