Loop logic in 7.0

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nkln@you
Premium Member
Premium Member

Loop logic in 7.0

Post by nkln@you »

I have a set of records coming from the source. For each record I should 6 columns whether any column is NULL. One record should be passed to output if one column is NULL. Suppose if we have all 6 columns NULLfor the same incoming record,then I should pass 6 records( same as source record) to target.

What is the best way to do this.

I thought of having 6 o/p links from transformer and in each constraint, I will checking for one column. So I will be having target stages.

But I think this approach is not correct. Is there any way to this.
Aim high
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

Convert the NULLS in a record to some character string using your NullToString() function.

Code should be somewhat like this

Code: Select all

If IsNull(InputLink.InputColumn) Then "_NULL" else InputLink.InputColumn
Pass all records where a single or more column has the value with _NULL to a second Transformer stage , using constraints
In the second transformer pass through all input columns to output column

The Check each record for the occurence of "_NULL", if it exists , output the column from a transformer stage to a PIVOT Stage, where you can give appropriate derivation in the output. Finally pass the output of pivot stage to a transformer where you will catch only the single column records where the value is "_NULL".

Im not sure if what i have written is clear to you.

But i can illustrate what above logic can do.

1, 2 records with 2 fields each as NULL --> output will have 4 records

2, 3 records, first has 3 fields NULL, second one has 2 fields null, 3rd one has 2 fields NULL--> output will have 7 records

In case you have not used the pivot stage,
I guess you will have to refine your understanding of what a PIVOT stage does, look up to it in the plug-ins guide

Finally , if anyone has a better way of expressing this, I welcome your thoughts.

Thanks
Ramesh
Last edited by rameshrr3 on Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
balajisr
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by balajisr »

Another approach is have 6 links coming out of transformer. Funnel these links into a single link and sent it to a single output stage.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

If you source is a flat file, ISNULL() might not work. Check for the Len() after trimming the field. If its 0, assume its null.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.