Error in datastage scheduling

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mouthou
Participant

Error in datastage scheduling

Post by mouthou »

Hello everyone,

I am getting the following error while scheduling a job in datastage.

"Error adding to schedule: at: garbage after time specification
(Command was: AT 09:43:43 vmdsr_sched.exe d:\apps\ascential\DataStage\Projects\Test"

I looked through the forum. But none helped. It talked about MCM. I dont have one. I checked the AT executable also. Is there any other suggestion experts can give?

Thanks in advance,
asitagrawal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by asitagrawal »

Can u provide the step by step procedure of how u are scheduling?
mouthou
Participant

Post by mouthou »

[quote="asitagrawal"]Can u provide the step by step procedure of how u are scheduling?[/quote]

I am using the Director and saying Add to Schedule and specifying the timings.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If there were any solutions to be had here, you would have found them in the Forums. Unfortunately, this error remains unsolved as far as we know. :cry:

Best to open a case with Support, see if they have an answer for you.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
gsbrown
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gsbrown »

Check your server's environment variables for PATH and CLASSPATH.

We had this error with our Windows 2003 Server and we found out that another installed application (I think it was Oracle) had an at.exe command and DataStage was trying to use it instead of the Windows at.exe command.

DataStage couldn't locate the Windows at.exe because the paths in the environment variables needed to be switched around. Try making sure C:\Windows\System32 is towards the front of your variable strings.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Excellent! This sounds very promising... thanks 'gs'. :D
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
mouthou
Participant

Post by mouthou »

I tried that option too. I got that from www128.ibm. It didnt work. As you said I tried putting system32 path at the end. Is it possible to know whether Datastage is looking for AT in some other location rather than system32?

C:\Documents and Settings\dsadmin>path
PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;D:\PROGRA~1\MKSTOO~1\bin;D:\PROGRA~1\MKSTOO~1\bin\X11;D
:\PROGRA~1\MKSTOO~1\mksnt;D:\oracle\ora92\bin;C:\Program Files\Oracle\jre\1.3.1\
bin;C:\Program Files\Oracle\jre\1.1.8\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WIND
OWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Compuware;d:\IBModbcdrivers;d:\P
rogram Files\Hummingbird\Connectivity\12.00\NFS Maestro\;.;

Thanks,
gsbrown
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gsbrown »

The only way I could test it was to run AT.exe on a command line.
I kept tweaking the environment variables until I could run the correct AT.exe from a command line without specifing the AT.exe path. I'm assuming when DataStage uses the AT.exe command, it's running it out of it's installation folder? (need help on this one). I don't think it's specifically executing "C:\Windows\System32\AT.exe"

Try positioning a command line to your DataStage Engine folder and execute the AT.exe command. See what returns. If it's pointing to the Windows AT.exe it will return a list of scheduled Windows tasks. Otherwise, you'll get the "garbage" error or an error relating to an incomplete AT.exe command and a list of options to complete the command.
danddmrs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by danddmrs »

I encountered this problem, searched DSX for help, and later fixed with assistance from our DBA.

Here are his notes for resolution:

When i searched for the at.exe, i found it in 3 different places.
1) C;\Windows\system32,
2) C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 and also at
3) C:\Windows\MKS Toolkit\bin.
1) and 2) is necessary, but 3) is not

The env path was showing C:\Windows\MKS Toolkit\bin before the C;\Windows\system32.
Since we no longer use the ToolKit, i deleted the entry C:\Windows\MKS Toolkit\bin from the env variable PATH. Now there was only 1 location pointed in PATH for the at.exe which is C;\Windows\system32.

Since i could not get rid of the whole folder due to some .dll files are getting used "error", i deleted the at.exe from the C:\Windows\MKS Toolkit\bin.