Edition of Windows Vista that support DataStage Server

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vnspn
Participant

Edition of Windows Vista that support DataStage Server

Post by vnspn »

Hi,

I would like to know whether is it possible to install DataStage Server 7.X in a Windows Vista Home Basic or a Home Premium edition. Or is it that we need atleast Windows Vista Business to install the DS Server.

Thanks.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

I think a better question is, do you actually have a working copy of Vista? :lol:

No version of DS Server engine is supported on Vista. I don't think the clients as well. You'll need to look at the support matrix for your OS and DS release level.

Welcome aboard!
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Of course, give it a try and let us know! Windoze XP Professional runs DS 7.5.x2, so you might consider trying the Business version. XP Home does NOT work.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
fmcmullan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by fmcmullan »

The DS client (I am using v7.5.1A) doesn't work well with Vista (Business edition, RTM version).

In particular, if you use the ellipsis button to try to choose things like job parameters or input columns in an expression box, the choice list displays "behind" the client window with no way to get it to come to the front. You can't minimize the client at that point, and are left with no choice but to kill the client process. When you do that, there's the choice window displayed quite nicely on the desktop. Clicking on the choice window, then right clicking on the desktop makes it go away.

I haven't tried the DS client with a released version of Vista yet, however, so I am not sure if this problem has gone away.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

"They" might come out with another dot releases for vista compatability. Have not heard anything so far as of yet.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
megamasti
Participant

Post by megamasti »

hi i'm using vista ultimate and i can run ds 7.5x2 client...but i cannot install server on my system
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Check the IBM web site. At the date of this post, no version of DataStage (client OR server) is supported on any Vista operating system, irrespective of the fact that it may work. Monitor the IBM web site, or have your vendor advise when one becomes available. Don't hold your breath - the first patch for Vista only took five days to become necessary, and there have been more patches since then - you can even buy XP again.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
roblew
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by roblew »

We've just tried installing the 7.5.1A client on Vista Enterprise. The install goes well and without errors. But, we've noticed that the stage properties look different (Oracle Ent., DRA, ODBC< Sequential stage, etc). They appear in the "grid style" on certain tabs (for example: properties on output link in Oracle stage), and not all the normal options appear in the various tabs.

The jobs compile file, can be run as normal using the client.

Any ideas why we're having this problem? My intial thoughts are that some dll's were not installed properly during install... but I have no idea how to check. I compared the number of files under C:\Program Files\Ascential\DataStage7.5.1 from the Vista install (768) to an existing XP install (775). I can't tell what the 7 file differences are. I'll have to figure out a way to easily compare the list of files.
mctny
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by mctny »

roblew wrote:...I'll have to figure out a way to easily compare the list of files.
put both lists into two different sequential file, create a small datastage jobs and use one file as your input and the other as a look up and your unmatched rows will be the difference. or write a minus query if you can import the sequential files into an MS access database.

I am surprised that DS is working with Vista enterprise, I bought a laptop with vista home premium edition and I couldnot get DS work, ( although it installed properly, it cannot connect to any Datastage projects, ) , I had to return the laptop back and order another one online with the XP professional Edition. All the new computers on the high tech stores have vista on it, I couldnot find one with XP in any stores.
Thanks,
Chad