Jobs not running as scheduled

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

srinagesh
Participant

Jobs not running as scheduled

Post by srinagesh »

Hi !

The datastage jobs are not running as scheduled, with any other user other than dsadm.

The cron shows that the job is scheduled, but the job fails to kick start at the "scheduled moment".

I have read in posts that it is worth checking the datastage logs for this. I couldnot find any log for DSR.SCHED. Can you point me to the location of the log file please.

The user with which I am scheduling has permissions in cron.allow, at.allow. The cron entry has the job schedule details as below.

Code: Select all

33 13 * * 1 /datastage/Projects/DatastageTest/dsr_sched.sh /datastage/Projects/D
atastageTest /opt/dsSoftware/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine test_schedule 0/50/1/0/0 7
>/dev/null 2>&1 #DSjobDS DSJ.DatastageTest.16.7

The fact that the dsadm scheduled jobs kick off at the "scheduled time" and other user's schedule not working is giving me a creepy feeling.

Can you point out what possibly could have gone wrong.

Regards
Nagesh
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

So, they fail to start at all? Is anything at all in the job's log that indicates it may have tried to start? :?

I ask because once upon a time, I saw something where the job did try to start but couldn't. The Status view in the log would not change from the last successful run, but there would be a single 'Starting' message in the job's log - and then nada. Never got a resoultion, either on my own or from support, and it just seemed to 'fix' itself.

You might want to involve your SAs, since when you get right down to it, it's 'just cron'. See if the problematic user can schedule and run other cron items...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
srinagesh
Participant

Post by srinagesh »

Thanks for the pointer Craig.

I have checked the datastage job log and the last entry in the log is the one for the previous successful run.

There is no indication that the job "tried" to run at the scheduled time.

I have also checked up with the Unix guys and they are quite confident that the cron execution privileges are in place for the user.

The only thing that has changed since the last time that job was successful was that the users & groups were migrated to NIS.

Is it possible that the cron is calling the datastage scheduler dsr.sched, which is failing? How do I check that ?

-Nagesh
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'm really not sure how one would check that. I'd suggest you open up a Support case with IBM for this, if you haven't already done so.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
srinagesh
Participant

Post by srinagesh »

Hi !

I tried restarting the datastage service, but the problem still prevails. :evil: :!:
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

when you made a cron entry did you compile the cron jobs?
run the following command:

crontab <cron file name>

you can check by the command
crontab -l

and you will get the list of all scheduled jobs.

its a basic but if you dont fire the crontab command after editing cron, then your entry will be in cron but they wont run
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Check with the UNIX Administrator that the cron daemon is running. It should be, but one must eliminate all possibilities.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
its_me48
Participant

Post by its_me48 »

We had the same issue and IBM was not much help. However, running "DS.TOOLS" command seem to solve the problem.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DS.TOOLS is merely a menu.

Which option from that menu appeared to correct the problem?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
its_me48
Participant

Post by its_me48 »

Option 2 (Rebuild Repository Indices).
We exhausted all options and this one seem to work (Note: It COULD be that in the process of going through different options we might have fixed the issue, hard to say though.)
srinagesh
Participant

Post by srinagesh »

Hi !

The issue was resolved now

Ultimately it turned out to be a Unix issue.

There were issues with some group permissions. The unix admin modified those permissions and restarted the cron. It worked like charm.

:D

-Nagesh