Connecting physical to logical names

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DarioE
Participant

Connecting physical to logical names

Post by DarioE »

The problem I have is that on my disk I can find gigabytes of various hash file folders + maybe some temporary sorter or aggregator files..
The programs that created those files are long deleted and I have no clue what they are.

Is there a way to link the physical names of files and folders on a disk to logical? It would also be of great help to find the name of a program that created them. That way it would be possible to detect which files are in use and which can be safely deleted.

Thanks!
DarioE
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Connecting physical to logical names

Post by I_Server_Whale »

DarioE wrote:Is there a way to link the physical names of files and folders on a disk to logical? It would also be of great help to find the name of a program that created them.
I highly doubt it unless the file/folder names (physical) have some kinda relationship embedded in them that relate to the logical.

Whale.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The file names for pathed hashed files can be extracted by doing a full project export to a .dsx file and parsing the export file. This isn't too difficult to do in a simple DS job using one transform and a stage variable to keep track of the job name being processed.
This will let you find out which programs used which hashed files. As long as the files aren't in a project directory you can remove them from the OS level directly if you are certain they are no longer required and that any jobs that use them will re-create them.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The $DSHOME/bin/UVfile command will report whether a particular file or directory is a hashed file. The existence of DATA.30, OVER.30, .Type30 and nothing else in a directory signals that that directory is a dynamic hashed file. You can encapsulate this in a script that traverses your file system looking for hashed files.

Arnd's approach is sound until you encounter hashed files whose names and/or parent directory pathnames are given as job parameters.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.