One projet with multiple environnements (parameters)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shrek7577
Participant

One projet with multiple environnements (parameters)

Post by shrek7577 »

Hi,

I've some difficulties to manage my data in my project (1 project).
I have to tests some data :
- from 2005 with user1/password1@Database
- from 2006 with user2/password2@Database
- from 2006 with user3/password3@Database

I create for each job 3 job sequences in which I change the parameters (repository, ...).

All string parameters (ex DSN, user, schema) can be changed but I can't change the password because it's in encrypted type. So, the password is always the default value filled in the job.

Is-it possible to create a parameter for a category or project in Datastage ? Difference between string and encrypted parameters.

Thanks.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: One projet with multiple environnements (parameters)

Post by chulett »

shrek7577 wrote:All string parameters (ex DSN, user, schema) can be changed but I can't change the password because it's in encrypted type. So, the password is always the default value filled in the job.
This is not true, you certainly can change the value of encrypted parameters. Their 'default' can be changed in the Director and they can be changed in the Run dialog just like any other parameter. What lead you to believe that? :?
shrek7577 also wrote:Is-it possible to create a parameter for a category or project in Datastage ?
Yes. Project is simple, leverage environment variables. Category? You may need something more custom depending on exactly what you need. However, don't pursue this for the reason stated above.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
shrek7577
Participant

Post by shrek7577 »

Hi chulett,

Yes, I can change the encrypted parameters in the job but NOT in the job sequence...

In the job sequence, when i double click on a string parameter i can edit the value. When I double click on a encrypted parameter, nothing happens...
don't undestand...

:(
shrek7577
Participant

Post by shrek7577 »

chulett,
I find a solution :
I add an environment variable : the password in encrypted type
and in the job stage in the job sequence, I fill the password value with this variable.

What do you think about it ?
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

You wont be able to change it directly there. You need to define a parameter in the job sequence and pass that parameter as the value. Plus for encrypted passwords, you wont be able to "double click" and enter a value, you need to hit "Insert parameter" and then specify the job sequence's job parameter.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

shrek7577 wrote:In the job sequence, when i double click on a string parameter i can edit the value. When I double click on a encrypted parameter, nothing happens... don't undestand...
Me neither. Nothing magical about Sequence jobs, our Production support peoples do this all the time. Matter of fact I just did it in one of our jobs to make sure I wasn't smoking something. At runtime, it should edit like any other parameter - right in the box. Inside a job, it should pop up a two entry dialog where you first enter and then 'verify' the value.

Is anyone else having this problem where you work? Have you reported it to your support provider?
-craig

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

DSguru2B wrote:You wont be able to change it directly there. You need to define a parameter in the job sequence and pass that parameter as the value. Plus for encrypted passwords, you wont be able to "double click" and enter a value, you need to hit "Insert parameter" and then specify the job sequence's job parameter.
This may very well be the 'problem'. My assumption was that you were passing the passwords in at runtime by defining them in the Sequence job itself, this is a standard practice and why I kept mentioning the Run dialog and the Set Defaults option in the Director. If you are not doing that, then yes - you cannot double-click in an encrypted field in a Job Activity stage's parameters section. You are stuck with the value in the job. Of course, you could simply change the default value in the job itself...
-craig

shrek7577
Participant

Post by shrek7577 »

So, I create all environment parameters in the properties/Parameters of the Job Sequence.

And for each job stage in the job sequence, I "Insert Parameter Value" for all environment parameters.

Then, for my 3 environments, I copy/paste 2 others jobs sequences and change only the Properties/Parameters without changing anything in all job stages inthe job sequence.

So, I spent 30minutes to do the first job sequence and 30secondes for the 2 others !!

Thanks chulett and DSguru2B for your help !!

:lol: :lol:
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

shrek7577 wrote: So, I spent 30minutes to do the first job sequence and 30secondes for the 2 others !!
Thats a huge leap :wink:
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.