using UniVerse and UniData

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vijaykumar
Participant

using UniVerse and UniData

Post by vijaykumar »

Hi Gurus,
My Design is Hashfiles---->UniVerse Stage

while defining the universe(uni) datastage properties.Iam facing lot of problem.

Its asking for database connection name, user name and password.

I gave the dsn name, user name as scott and password as tiger, since iam connecting to oracle.

In details tab, iam specifying the directory path, iam specifying the path where hashfile is created.

iam getting error-invalid account name, the connection name defined is valid.
Plz gurus help me in analyzing the stage properties.

cheers;
vijay
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

You cannot connect to Oracle using Universe Stage. UniVerse stage is for connecting to UniVerse tables.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

What are you trying to achieve here? As noted you cannot connect to Oracle using Universe Stage.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

UniVerse and UniData are database products, in the same way that Oracle, Sybase, Informix and DB2 are. You can gain more information here on the IBM website, since IBM has owned these two databases since 2001.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Saama
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Saama »

Hi Gurus,

I can't find the universe stage in my repository, i can only find the UNIDATA STAGE, its says that its universe and Unidata stage, but when i double click the stage its says that it is Unidata stage, where can i find the Universe stage.
From the information which you gave gurus, i was able to know that UNIVERSE and UNIDATA are the separate databases.
But I created a hashfile and defined in the properties of hashfile as universe stage compatibility.
I want to access these hashfiles using universe stage.
Please help me where can I find the universe stage.

Cheers;
Vijay
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Look beside the UniData stage in the Palette; you will see a drop-down list. This list contains both UniData stage types and the UniVerse stage.

Alternately you can select the UniVerse stage from the Stage Types branch of the Repository.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Saama
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Saama »

Hi Gurus,
You are helping me a lot, can we access the Hashfiles which are created in the universe by Unidata stage.

I know that we can retrieve by Universe stage, or is Unidata stage used only for Unidatabases.

cheers;
Vijay
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

Universe and Unidata are two seperate products.
AFAIK you cannot read universe data from Unidata stage.
Is there any particular reason why you are going this way?
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes there is, but we'd better not go there.

The UniVerse stage can access data in DataStage hashed files, but only if a pointer to the hashed file exists in VOC. Search the forum for the SETFILE command for more information. In the UniVerse stage specify the pre-allocated DSN localuv.

Neither UniData stage can be used to access data in DataStage hashed files.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

So Ray ji, we can use UNIDATA to access hashed file :o
I saw two contradicting statements in your last post.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No you didn't.
ray wurlod wrote:Neither UniData stage can be used to access data in DataStage hashed files.
means that neither (of the two UniData stages) can be used to access data in DataStage hashed files.

Whilst I did not say so, the UniData stages do access hashed files - but these are UniData hashed files, which are - architecturally - radically different from DataStage hashed files.

So I stand by my statements and the precision of my language.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

ray.wurlod wrote:Yes there is, but we'd better not go there.
I was talking about those two statements
ray.wurlod wrote: Neither UniData stage can be used to access data in DataStage hashed files.
I thought that the first one was about UNIDATA. Anyways, must have been a minterpretation on my part.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The first was my answer to narasimha's immediately prior question.