Query Regarding Column Generated query in OCI stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ashik_punar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Query Regarding Column Generated query in OCI stage

Post by ashik_punar »

Hi Everyone,

I am using an OCI stage to read some data from Oracle 10g table. In the SQL i am selecting the 'Column Generated SQL query' option and trying to select a date field from the source table.Everything is working fine but the problem is that in the generated SQL it is using TO_CHAR function. I am not able to understand why this is happening. The target field in which i am fetching the date field is also of TimeStamp datatype.
For example:

I have a column Business_Date in the source table.The column generated SQL query is something like this :

SELECT TO_CHAR(ODSADM.TW_IMX_BAL.BUSINESS_DATE, 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS')

The target column in which i am selecting the source field is also of TimeStamp datatype.
Now my question is why its getting converted to CHAR.

Thanks a lot for all the support and help that everyone has been provided.

Thanks in advance,
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Because DataStage server jobs do not have an intrinsic Timestamp data type.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Date in Oracle has timestamp portion in it. Where as Datastage dosen't have one. Hence the Data data type is mapped to timestamp data type in datastage, with to_char() during select and to_date() to perform the vice versa during insert.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ashik_punar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ashik_punar »

Hi Ray/Kumar,

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I got the answer.

Now i have one more doubt. In the OCI stage what is the purpose of the Derivation column.I went to the columns tab and loaded the columns of a table, after that i decided to load columns of some other table which is having the same structure. When i am doing the same all the columns are getting replaced but their derivation in the derivation is same.
For example:
I have 2 tables:
US_BALANCE
UK_BALANCE

both these tables are in schema1 and their column structure also is same.Say column1 and column2.

Now i loaded the table structure for table US_BALANCE and the derivations column is having 'schema1.US_BALANCE.column1' for the first column and 'schema1.US_BALANCE.column2' for the sceond column.After some time i decided to load the table structure for UK_BALANCE in the same OCI Stage.When i am doing the same it is asking me if i want to replace column1 and column2.If i say yes it replaces the same but the derivation column is not updated.ideally it should have 'schema1.UK_BALANCE.column1' but it is still having 'schema1.US_BALANCE.column1' . Can you please guide me on the reason for the same.

Thanks a lot for all the help that you have been providing.

Thanks in Advacne,
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

user 'Synchronise Columns' Option available in Query tab.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ashik_punar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ashik_punar »

Hi Kumar,

Thanks a lots for the guidance.