Manipulation of data

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Mark_E
Premium Member
Premium Member

Manipulation of data

Post by Mark_E »

hi,

i currently have two fields in my table (prodid, status) if the Status is 'A' for a Prodid then i need to set all Statuses for that ProdId to 'A' else leavealone. Example below:

ProdId: Status:
1 A
1 I
1 B
2 I
3 I

The results i require as:

ProdId: Status
1 A
1 A
1 A
2 I
3 I

Just cant seem to change it for the specific ProdId. Any assisstance greatly appreciated. thanks in advance guys
mark_e
Mark_E
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mark_E »

sorry i forgot to mention the Status field isnt in a table, it is generated within my job to obtain the single character values as described.
mark_e
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

You can use "RowProcCompareWithPreviousValue" or "Stage Variables" to achieve it.
If not same but similar situtaions have been discussed here a few times. It would get you started.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
us1aslam1us
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by us1aslam1us »

Filter the records for status='A' and load them into the hashed file. Use this Hashed file to do a lookup on your source file based on ProdId as the key.
I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.
Thomas Alva Edison(1847-1931)
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If there's no order to the Status data, meaning you could get something like this:

5 I
5 B
5 B
5 A

Then it seems to me you'll need to make two passes through the data. You could use a hashed file that you wrote to and read in the same transformer, to build a list of ProdIds and record if you ever saw an 'A' in the first pass. Then a second pass to use the hashed lookup to determine if any given ProdId should get all A's or be left alone.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Mark_E
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mark_E »

Thanks for all your points, appreciate it. i will give that a go and let you know how i get on.

thanks again
mark_e