How to get out the Null row in a file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shrek7577
Participant

How to get out the Null row in a file

Post by shrek7577 »

Hi,

I've a problem. Our client has sometimes somes lines with nothing a in his file. For example :

Field1 ; Field2 ; Field3
Field1 ; Field2 ; Field3
(nothing)
Field1 ; Field2 ; Field3

And the output must be :
Field1 ; Field2 ; Field3
Field1 ; Field2 ; Field3
Field1 ; Field2 ; Field3

I dont't know if the following solution is the simplest solution :
1. In the columns description of the file, on Incompete columns, click on 'REPLACE' for all the fields
2. In a transformer, filter all row with Null key field

Thanks for all your ideas !
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Easier to process with a filter command in the Sequential File stage that reads the file. Use sed or awk or some other command that allows you to remove empty lines from a file.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

You can optionally read all the fields in a single field using Varchar datatype and eliminate the empty lines using transformer.
Optionally you can use FIND witn /V option to eliminate the empty lines. Iam just looking for the command to find the newline. If I get it, I ll update you.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
shrek7577
Participant

Post by shrek7577 »

Thanks kumar_s and ray.wurlod but the DS Server is on Windows Server. So, no sed nor awk...
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Shrek - you can get free UNIX utilities on Windows that include such tools as sed and awk; the most common one I know of is MKS toolkit, but MS also offers a package that will do this.
shrek7577
Participant

Post by shrek7577 »

OK, thanks for this precision.
I didn't know
:oops:
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

When you say its nothing, you mean not even a delimiter? If thats the case then you can read the entire line as one record, do an INDEX() on delimiter and if its equal to 0 then reject it. You cannot exactly check for NULLS in a flat file.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
shrek7577
Participant

Post by shrek7577 »

Hi DSGuru2B,

Yes nothing, just the system character next line.

Often, this file CSV is generated from .XLS in which there is some empty rows. Sometimes times, there's only separators :
Field1 ; Field2 ; Field3
;;;;
;;
Field1 ; Field2 ; Field3

But, I can't ask the person generating this file to correct his CSV file (He doesn't know how to do...). And there'is some bug in generating CSV from XLS with empty last columns...
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

How about you save the xls sheet as tab delimited file. See if that works.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
shrek7577
Participant

Post by shrek7577 »

DSguru2B,
nothing to do in the CSV generating ... Only in Datastage.
:cry:
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

shrek7577 wrote:But, I can't ask the person generating this file to correct his CSV file (He doesn't know how to do...).
Of course you can. Explain how. Anyone responsible for generating a spreadsheet as input to an automated process needs to be disciplined and not send you crap. They can delete the empty rows and/or columns before converting to csv format.

There's no 'bug', it's all about the people working the spreadsheet.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Open your file as a text document. Copy and paste a few records here enclosed in "code" tags. Lets see how we can tackle this using just DataStage. Also , how many columns are supposed to be in your file?
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I failed to see Craig's reply as we both posted at the same time. He is so right. All you need to do is go talk to that person.
shrek7577
Participant

Post by shrek7577 »

I understand your reaction and reply.
When I wrote "I can't ask", I meaned I don't have permission to explain how to do ?..

I don't understand that too !..

Let's return to the technical problem.
No manual intervention allowed, only automatical job in Datastage to correct to file.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Ok, then post the sample contents here and also tell me the number of columns present. Make sure you copy paste the contents here.