Equivalent CHAR

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sylvan_rydes
Participant

Equivalent CHAR

Post by sylvan_rydes »

Hi All,

This is rather simplest thing to ask. If you have a number in billion then how will you calculate the equivalent character for this decimal.

I tried Fmt and Oconv but all I got is of no use. Thanks in advance.

Sylvan
sylvan rydes
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Equivalent CHAR

Post by chulett »

sylvan_rydes wrote:This is rather simplest thing to ask. If you have a number in billion then how will you calculate the equivalent character for this decimal.
Rather simplest, but I have no idea what you are asking. :?

Can you rephrase or provide an example of what you are trying to convert - from and to, if possible?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sylvan_rydes
Participant

Post by sylvan_rydes »

Hi Craig,

Suppose the number is 5489275482321009. Then what will be the equivalent char to this number. Isn't it simple?

Sylvan
sylvan rydes
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

sylvan_rydes wrote:Hi Craig,

Suppose the number is 5489275482321009. Then what will be the equivalent char to this number. Isn't it simple?

Sylvan
How can there be an equivalent character to the above number? I'm not able to decipher your objective here. What did you try using Fmt and Oconv functions?

Whale.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The example helps but is incomplete. You say 'equivalent char' like you want this translated into a single character - but I'm guessing you want this number spelled out in words? :?

If that's the case, Ray posted a routine to do that quite recently. Either one of us could search for it. If that's not the case, you need to complete the example, show us what it should convert to... perhaps with a smaller number.
-craig

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:evil: Dang, I can't find the routine Ray posted for the life of me... sorry. It's here somewhere and would be helpful if that is what you are looking for.
-craig

DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Give us an example. What it looks like and what you want? If you want a number to be converted to words, then clickhereto get the routine Craig is talking about.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Easy Craig!. :wink: Here it is.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
sylvan_rydes
Participant

Post by sylvan_rydes »

Hi All,

Well..I have already seen all the posts earlier. Anyway I don't have more to say but thanks for all the feedback.

Sylvan
sylvan rydes
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

sylvan_rydes wrote:Hi Craig,

Sylvan
I still did not get what you wanted :?
Do you want that number to be represented in words? Kinda lost with your terminology.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you are asking what character is represented by UniChar(5489275482321009) you're out of luck. There isn't one.

The Unicode convention provides either for a 16-bit architecture (maximum of 65,536 different characters) or a 32-bit architecture (maximum of 4,294,967,296 different characters). The 64K character space is pretty much all accounted for (see Unicode Consortium web site) but there's plenty of unused space in the large set of code points.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

sylvan_rydes wrote:Well..I have already seen all the posts earlier. Anyway I don't have more to say but thanks for all the feedback.
But... was your question answered? :?
-craig