Automize the process of Excel to csv/txt conversion

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

satish_valavala
Participant

Automize the process of Excel to csv/txt conversion

Post by satish_valavala »

How can we automize the process of Excel to CSV/TXT conversion, prior to ETL/DataStage process. (with no human intervension)

I appreciate your help.

Thanks
Regards
VS
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Search this forum for some ideas. This has been discussed here before.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Re: Automize the process of Excel to csv/txt conversion

Post by ray.wurlod »

satish_valavala wrote:How can we automize the process of Excel to CSV/TXT conversion, prior to ETL/DataStage process. (with no human intervension)

I appreciate your help.

Thanks
You will need human intervention, at least in the design phase. The designer will need to create a script - it may be a small VBA script, it may be an Excel macro, it may be a BAT file.

Whatever it is, it can be invoked from DataStage, perhaps in an Execute Command activity in a job sequence, perhaps in a before-job subroutine. Since DataStage server is on UNIX, some form of remote execution request, such as rsh or rlogin, will be necessary. This may need some tweaking of Windows security mechanisms on the machine where the Excel files are.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

If buying tools is an option, there are many available in the market which can convert an Excel file to a csv file, even through command line.
You can get one of those at a very competitive price.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.