Phantoms

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

devilsmentor
Participant

Phantoms

Post by devilsmentor »

Whenever i choose the option to write the XML O/P to a file, a phantom process is getting created. And these processes dont die on their own, i need to go looking for them and kill each one of them.Is there any option to capture XML without creating phantoms. !!! :?:
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

A Phantom is a background process so nothing to be scared of them. If there are warnings in your log file then post them here.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
devilsmentor
Participant

Post by devilsmentor »

hi DSGURU, its not that i am getting warnings in the jobs, my concern is when i try to bounce my DSServer i need them closed. And i explained you how i will have to close it, Just looking for a better option to not have them opened. Also i noticed more the phatoms, slower is the response from DS. :roll:
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

how are you identifying the phantoms. At the unix prompt?
When you do

Code: Select all

ps -ef | grep phantom
how many do you see, do they have PPID other than 1?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
devilsmentor
Participant

Post by devilsmentor »

Well i do ps -ef | grep phantom | grep "username"....i get all the phantoms created with my "username" and they have a PPID of 1. The main concept is that i want to capture an XML. I declare the path in the XML O/P stage in its O/P section, and the job obviously gets aborted creating a phantom and XML file. These background processes are slowing down the response from server :(
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Ok if the PPID is 1 that means its a zombie process and yes they need to be cleared. I thought you said no warnings. I assumed that the job finishes. :?
Anywho, I have'nt come across something like this, especially dealing with XML's. Maybe someone here can throw enlighten us with some more info.