Restart ABortd Sequence

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

asitagrawal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Restart ABortd Sequence

Post by asitagrawal »

Job Design :

Code: Select all

MasterSequence -> (Add Checkpoints - ON , Automatic Handle of Activity that fails - ON)

Job1 (Reset if Required and then Run)

StartLoop Activity (From = 1 To = 35)

Job2 (Reset if Required and then Run)

JobSequence1 (Add Checkpoints - ON , Automatic Handle of Activity that fails - ON)

JobSequence2 (Add Checkpoints - ON , Automatic Handle of Activity that fails - ON)

EndLoop
Now Explaining you the Problem :
When the Loop runs for the first Iteration and if any job/Job Sequence gets aborted,On restaring the Master Sequence it Resumes from the aborted job(In the same manner as it should behave)

But if the Loop is running for the Second iteration and then if any job/Job Sequence aborts,On Restarting the Master Sequence it skips all the jobs without resuming the aborted job/Job Sequence.

Status of the aborted Job/Job Sequence,remains the same even on restarting the Master Sequence.

Please explain the above behavior of restart on failure.

Kind Regards,
Asit
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Do you mean to say it skips the jobs or JobSequence which are in aborted state, when you restart :?:
Could you explain on, which job/JobSeq got aborted and which one got skipped?
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

My guess is that the checkpoint is added when the first successful run occurs on iteration #1 (there will be an event logged indicating that this checkpoint has been added). Even though the same job fails on iteration #2 or later, that checkpoint indicating that the job succeeded remains in effect, so the job is skipped on restart. Check in the job log that a checkpoint has been added as described above.

You can verify my logic by inspecting the generated job control code.

Report this as a deficiency in the product - the abort in the later iteration should clear the checkpoint. It doesn't happen.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I've got a much more complicated loop that still basically does the same thing - a mixture of Server and Sequence jobs, most running inside a Loop (but not all) - and I have no such issue with restarts. :?

You mentioned that you have 'Reset if required' set for the Server jobs but don't mention it for the Sequence jobs. Curious if that is set for them as well.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
asitagrawal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by asitagrawal »

I have 'Reset if Required then Run' Mode set for all the Jobs inside the Job Sequence.Although this mode is set for all the Jobs/Job Sequence in the Master Sequence.

Waiting for ur Reply!!!
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Ray has asked for a information and infact waiting for your reply.
Asked you to check the log and generated Jobcontrol for Check point information for each iteration.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
asitagrawal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by asitagrawal »

We have checked the Logs..but nothing is coming related to Checkpoints.
In job control also...i m not very clear what to see...or check...can u explain me what to Check in job control.

Job Design :
MasterSequence -> (Add Checkpoints - ON , Automatic Handle of Activity that fails - ON)

Routine(Running a job to calculate the Loop 'To' Value)

StartLoop Activity (From = 1 To = 35)

Job1 (Reset if Required and then Run)

JobSequence1 (Add Checkpoints - ON , Automatic Handle of Activity that fails - ON)

JobSequence2 (Add Checkpoints - ON , Automatic Handle of Activity that fails - ON)

EndLoop

I explain you all my test cases :
Run/Start Master Sequence. Routine calculates the Loop 'To' value and set it '2'.So the loop should run twice.
Case 1 :
After this Routine,I intentionally remove a File which is must to run Job1,So the Master sequence Aborted at this point.After having the Error,I put the file in place and rerun(Restart) the Master sequence without resetting anything.
The Master Sequence Reruns perfectly Fine.It skipped the all jobs before Job1 and Resumes from Job1.

Case 2 :
In Case 1,I intentionally remove a File which is must to run JobSequence1,So the Master sequence Aborted at this point.After having the Error,I put the file in place and rerun(Restart) the Master sequence without resetting anything.
The Master Sequence Reruns perfectly Fine.It skipped the all jobs before JobSequence1 and Resumes from JobSequence1.

Case 3 :
In Case 2,I intentionally remove a File which is must to run JobSequence2,So the Master sequence Aborted at this point.After having the Error,I put the file in place and rerun(Restart) the Master sequence without resetting anything.
The Master Sequence Reruns perfectly Fine.It skipped the all jobs before JobSequence2 and Resumes from JobSequence2.

Case 4 :
After this First Iteration is completed,The Master Sequence Entered into the Second Loop.
Here when i try to repeat Case 1(Remove a file which is must for Job1),The Master Sequence aborted as it shud.
But on Restart(in the same manner as i did previously in first iteration),Routine again runs and calculate the Loop 'To' value as '1'(because it has sucessfully finished for first iteration).This time all the jobs skipped(Job1,JobSequence1,JobSequence2) and the Master Sequence gets finished.

In the Case 4,when i saw the Status of Job1(where it aborted),the status remains the same(Aborted).The Restarting of the Master sequence have not trigger the aborted job at all.

Thanks in Advance!!

Waiting for ur reply!!!