java class into DataStage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mfanas
Participant

java class into DataStage

Post by mfanas »

Hello DS Gurus, I need to design something on DataStage that can enable me to check some business rules by calling a Java class before it is written to a Dataset (table). I had a check on some previous postings and JavaPack was mentioned. I would to find out is there anyone who has done something like this before, how was it implemented or how can it be implemented. Any ideas my gurus will be appreciated.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You mean other than buying the Java PACK? :?

We've used shell scripts to invoke Java processes. Land the data, invoke, pick up the results. To do it directly in a job (as in row by row, in a derivation) requires the pack, as far as I know.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Absolutely. As Craig suggests, JavaPack is the most elegant and direct way to invoke one of your classes. With JavaPack your class can interact with the DS engine on a row by row basis, reading from and writing to various links, and inspect meta data that exists within the job design to make decisions......
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Is Java PACK available and working with Hawk GA?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Are the business rules already written in Java? If not, why is "using a Java class" part of your specification? It's probably more efficient if the business rules are checked "in line" in the DataStage job.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mfanas
Participant

Post by mfanas »

Thank you all for your responses, I will use the JavaPack as the business rules are already built in Java (for reusability). Your help is always appreciated my gurus.