keeping two datastage environments in sync

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

praveenchandra
Charter Member
Charter Member

keeping two datastage environments in sync

Post by praveenchandra »

I am trying to replicate production environment to a test environment.
All jobs have parameters set in properties, which include
database name/password and bunch of directories.
In prod environment the database is myProdDb and in test is myTestDb
I want to change all the parameters for all jobs that have been imported in test environment to reflect this change. Is there any way other than making the change manually?
Second question -- how can we keep two jobs in different environment synch'ed ?

thanks in advance
Happy new year to everyone :D
regards
Praveen
Praveen
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

(1) Set the parameters in the profile of your different user and nourish them by operationsystemparameters, so you never have to edit anywhere within DataStage.

(2) Use Version management.
Wolfgang Hürter
Amsterdam
praveenchandra
Charter Member
Charter Member

parameter setup

Post by praveenchandra »

"1) Set the parameters in the profile of your different user and nourish them by operationsystemparameters, so you never have to edit anywhere within DataStage.

(2) Use Version management. "
Wolfgang,
thanks for your reply.

We do not have version management, and I am not sure how much it costs and if I will be able to get it.
The unix environment has .profile that contains the parameters, but each job has a bunch of parameters with default value column containing the local setup. I did not understand what you meant by " nourish them by operationsystemparameters." Do I need to remove all the paramers in the job ? How will job know to look in unix environment for default values
Regards
Praveen
Praveen
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Version Control is free, and is on your DataStage clients CD. Be warned, however, that there is no Version Control in version 8.0; it will be replaced (in version 8.2?) with "something more closely integrated with source control tools such as ClearCase".

There are third party tools such as Parameter Manager for DataStage or Kim Duke's Parameter Navigator with DWNav available. Visit the sister site Tools4DataStage to get more information.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
trobinson
Participant

Post by trobinson »

Export the entire PROD Project to a single dsx, open the dsx in some editor and do a global search and replace of MyProdDb with MytestDb, save and exit. Import the project to test and done. It's a hack and points to very poor design of your environment(s) but it will work. One primary use of parameters is so that one doesn't have to do this hack.