Stopping a running job ? (Without Director)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ady
Premium Member
Premium Member

Stopping a running job ? (Without Director)

Post by ady »

I have a problem with a job which dosent stop from the director. It bee running all night. Is there a way to stop it from other than the director ?
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

What is the job doing. Is it accessing a database. Give a call to your dba and ask him to kill the thread that was generated by that id. Some jobs can be a pain when it comes to stopping them. OR maybe it stopped and the status is not updated. How do you know its still running ???
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ds_developer
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ds_developer »

There are a couple of ways to "stop" a job in Director. You should tell us what you've tried. Here are the options:

1. highlight the job and hit the 'stop' button
2. go to Job|Cleanup Resources (if enabled on this project) You'll have to find the process (PID) of the job. Then log it out/clear the locks. You should read the documentation and/or have some experience with this.

John
ady
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ady »

I tried running the job when I returned in the morning. it says the job has been running all night.

And YES its writing to 2 OCI tables. But its supposed to insert just 1 row in each of them.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

As i suspected. Now give your dba a call and ask him if there are any alive threads from your id, or whatever id is accessing the database. If he says yes then they must be hung. Ask him to kill it at the database level. This will cause your job to abort. Never stop a job that is accessing a database, the connection doesnt die at times and then problems occur
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ady
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ady »

ds_developer wrote:There are a couple of ways to "stop" a job in Director. You should tell us what you've tried. Here are the options:

1. highlight the job and hit the 'stop' button
2. go to Job|Cleanup Resources (if enabled on this project) You'll have to find the process (PID) of the job. Then log it out/clear the locks. You should read the documentation and/or have some experience with this.

John

I tried Highlighting the job and clicking on it .

And when I go to Job|Cleanup Resources, Processes>click on show all and click on my Id and logout ...... It says "Error Calling Subroutine: *DataStage*DSR.PLADMIN (Action=2); Check datastage is setup correctly. Subroutine failed (30107)).

This means that it not setup for the project right?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No, it just means you killed yourself. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

chulett wrote:No, it just means you killed yourself. :wink:
Craig, your gonna scare the poor fellow. He means, killed it yourself.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Specifically, I meant the 'it' he killed was his current connection. :shock:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I know, just having a little fun :wink:
ady
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ady »

:)

Its working now ..... Think the process got killed ( maybe by the DBA, Donno yet :? )

I recompiled the job and am running it again .... lets see how it goes this time around! .. thanx guys
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can use the -stop option in the dsjob command line interface to issue a stop request to a running job.

Note, however, that the "running" status reported in Director may be out of date, but the job was unable to update it. Search the forum for more complete description.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.