regarding parameters

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vijaykumar
Participant

regarding parameters

Post by vijaykumar »

Hi,
i defined parameters at project level and making use of these parameters at job level.
i have defined parameters like
ODBC CONNECTION STRING ENTER DSN NAME SSSSS
USER NAME ENCRYPTED ENTER USER NAME SCOTT
PASSWORD STRING ENTER PASSWORD TIGER

iam using these parameters only in the source stage, when i run these parameters iam getting error .
its connecting from the source stage.
iam not using these parameters in target stage.
when i remove the parameter PASSWORD iam not getting any error.
i defined the parameter password correctly, if i would have define incorrect, i would have got error.
plz help me. why am i getting error.
when i run the job it asks for parameter values.iam giving parameter values. why am i getting error when i use parameter for PASSWORD.
and also can i use the same parameters for target stage.
iam using the same DSN AND PASSWORD .

cheers;
vijay
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

What errors do you get?
Looks like you are not passing the PASSWORD parameter properly.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: regarding parameters

Post by I_Server_Whale »

vijaykumar wrote:its connecting from the source stage.
Very poorly framed question. What does 'its' mean in the above sentence?
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
us1aslam1us
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by us1aslam1us »

why are you using your USERNAME as encryted and PASSWORD as string, doesn't make much sense. You go thru your definition of parameters and i am sure you will be able to resolve it yourself.

Sam
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

If the Parameters, i.e ODBC,USER NAME, PASSWORD are the same for the source and the target stages, then you can use the same parameters, else you need a seperate set for source and target stages.

How are you putting the value for the PASSWORD in your source stage?

You need to copy the parameter name, in your case PASSWORD, enter it in the password field.
Note: You need to paste it between two #, or in other words, after pasting your PASSWORD parameter in the password field you need to enclose it with two #.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

As mentioned you need to give out the full details before asking for a solution.
The exact error/ warning message. Before that you can check with the basic troubleshooting steps. Was the password marked Encrypted and not passed accordingly. Check by passing hardcoded passwords. Check the director entry for the value of the parameter that been passed. Check if its prompting for password, if not check if # is placed correctly before and after the parameter name.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
vijaykumar
Participant

Post by vijaykumar »

hi gurus,
what i mean is i click on view data tab in the source stage, i can view the data, when when i click on create ddl tab in target stage its creating DDL statement too.
iam getting this error.
TESTING..Transformer_2: |TESTING..ODBC_0: DSD.BCIConnect Failed to map LOGON2. LOGON2: ??, NLS map: MS1252|
i have defined parameter password as
PASSWORD ENTER VALUE OF PASSWORD ENCRYPTED TIGER
cheers;
vijay
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Is this the exact error message you get when you run the job?
As mentioned earliar, have you checked whats the value that been passed as password, when you run the job from Director entry.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: regarding parameters

Post by narasimha »

vijaykumar wrote: when i remove the parameter PASSWORD iam not getting any error.
So you say, if you give the password directly, you dont get this error?
vijaykumar wrote: TESTING..Transformer_2: |TESTING..ODBC_0: DSD.BCIConnect Failed to map LOGON2. LOGON2: ??, NLS map: MS1252|
Narasimha Kade

vijaykumar
Participant

Post by vijaykumar »

hi,
i have defined as
username string enter user name scott
password encrypted enter password tiger
odbc connection string enter dsn name ssss
now i have called these parameter at joblevel.
iam using the same parameters for both source and target.
iam defining in my source and target stages as
#$odbcconnection# #$username# #$password#.
inorder to test i clicked on view data tab in source stage.
its connecting ,i can view the data.
but when i run the job, its asking for parameter values, iam entering
values for these parameters (ie) scott, tiger and ssss.
but iam getting fatal error.
TESTING..Transformer_2: |TESTING..ODBC_0: DSD.BCIConnect Failed to map LOGON2. LOGON2: ??, NLS map: MS1252|.
plz help me.

cheers;
vijay
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Even during you View data, it might have prompted for password, did you gave the same value?
Was any NLS been enabled for that job?
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

vijaykumar wrote:but when i run the job, its asking for parameter values, iam entering
values for these parameters (ie) scott, tiger and ssss.
but iam getting fatal error.
TESTING..Transformer_2: |TESTING..ODBC_0: DSD.BCIConnect Failed to map LOGON2. LOGON2: ??, NLS map: MS1252|.
You need not enter the same values again when you run the job, the job will automatically pull the default values assigned for the variables being used, which in your case are the same.

Whale.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
vijaykumar
Participant

Post by vijaykumar »

HI,
yaa when i click view data, it asks to enter password, when i enter password ,its working fine from the source stage.
i didn't touch the NLS tab.
i can see one thing actually password tiger is of length 5 But it only changes its length to 7 cannot understand,whats going on.but i can see the encrypted string length its 7. but i dont think its the reason bz if that is the reason then i shouldn't view the data from source stage. but i can view the data, plz help me.when i remove parameter password and include only 2 parameters its working fine.
iam getting error
TESTING..ODBC_0: DSD.BCIConnect Failed to map LOGON2. LOGON2: ??, NLS map: MS1252.

cheers;
vijay
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Try toggling the parameter type 'Encrypted'/'String' in the job property for Password parameter.
us1aslam1us
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by us1aslam1us »

Check the Target stage, I am pretty much sure this might be the possible issue. Also try using sequential file instead of Target stage.

Sam