regarding exporting the jobs created in designer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Saama
Premium Member
Premium Member

regarding exporting the jobs created in designer

Post by Saama »

hi,
we have offshore team back in india, i want to export these jobs.so went to manager, choose the project where i developed jobs, click on EXPORT. but shall i select datastage component or executable job, prob i should select executable job just want to make sure am i going in the right way.
i will really appreciate if any guru help me in how to export my job. how do my offshore team back in india import these jobs .
plz help me,
cheers;
saama
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is the offshore team developing or testing? If the former they will need the job design; if the latter they will need the job executable (and probably the job design). In addition they will need all repository objects upon which the job depends; data elements, routines, shared containers, table definitions and transforms.

And, if you're in Pune, why do you refer to "back in India"?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: regarding exporting the jobs created in designer

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Saama wrote: how do my offshore team back in india import these jobs .
plz help me,
cheers;
saama
When you export, you export either into a XML file or a DSX file. To import, you again use the manager, Click on import and then depending on your export file(DSX or XML) choose 'DataStage Components' or 'DataStage Components(XML)'.

Whale.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
Saama
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Saama »

hi,
my company has registered, i said my comapny to register, they did so.
My offshore team wants to analyze the design what i created.
i want to export the design, what components i used, what routines used, which all stages used in developing job.
In order to do i went to manager, select the project and in that i have choose job and click export---->datastage components----->in the components tab----> selected
job design
when i select stage types- iam not able to view the stages used in developing job.infact it displays all the components in the pallete.
i cant even view the functions used in transformer stage.
in the options category i have choosen by individual component.
if i export the job, can a developer understand the stages used and transformation used.
plz help me how to export , Am i analyzing in right way

cheers;
saama
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You designed it. Only you know every component that you used. You don't need to export stage types, because their DataStage project will have these too (or will need to install them). But you do need to export every component that you or one of your team created which forms part of the job design in question.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

So export the job design. Follow that with exports of any components they'd need to be able to compile it there, appending them to the export file:

Custom Routines
Custom Transforms
Shared Containers

As noted, you need to know what you need to include, it won't fish them out for you automagically. If you are unsure, include them all in the initial export with the job design.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You should, of course, have recorded them on the job's Dependencies tab.

Hindsight is a wonderfully exact science!
Saama
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Saama »

hi,
Thanks a lot.
my doubt is when i click on available tables, i just can select only one table
how to select 2 tables, like if i performed join transformation in a particular job, that means i need to select 2 tables, one of my friend is telling me that there is no need of selecting 2 tables, the other table will automatically exported.
the list only says to include routines, what about how to include functions.
i used some i conv and oconv transformations, how to include those.
iam not appending to a file. when to go for this option. bz iam just exporting as .dsx file.
even iam not choosing the option to compile and run, when to go for these options, plz help me to analyze, am i going in the right way.
plz help me.

cheers;
saama
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

my doubt is when i click on available tables, i just can select only one table

- Right

how to select 2 tables,

- One after the other or you can select by category too

like if i performed join transformation in a particular job, that means i need to select 2 tables, one of my friend is telling me that there is no need of selecting 2 tables, the other table will automatically exported.

- If you need two tables you need to select both of them, it does not happen automatically. If you have saved the join metadata then only that could suffice

the list only says to include routines, what about how to include functions.
i used some i conv and oconv transformations, how to include those.

- ICONV and OCONV are inbuilt, you dont need to export these

iam not appending to a file. when to go for this option. bz iam just exporting as .dsx file.

- You select append to a file, if you already have a .dsx file and you need to append new jobs/routines to it

even iam not choosing the option to compile and run, when to go for these options, plz help me to analyze, am i going in the right way.
plz help me.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

This isn't that difficult. :?

They don't need the table metadata to run the jobs. However, if you want to include it, export them one at a time to the same .dsx and choose the 'Append' option. Your friend is incorrect about 'the other table will automatically exported', it won't.

Same goes for any custom routines or transforms. Either all of them or cherry-pick the ones you want by exporting one at a time. In any case, append them to the same .dsx export so you only have one file to send.

You don't need to include any built-in objects like IConv or OConv, only any custom objects written in your shop as I mentioned earlier - routines, transforms, shared containers.

There is no 'compile and run' option, so not sure what you are referring to there.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is no "multi select" capability in the Export dialog's drop-down lists. On the Options tab choose to export individual components or categories.
To export a second category, or a second infividual component, you need to do a second export, this time with the Append check box checked.

Or you can export the entire project, and allow your colleagues "back in India" to do a selective Import.
Saama
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Saama »

hi Gurus,
thanks very much.
my doubt is resolved.
once again thanks.

cheers;
saama
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

You can mark the topic as resolved. :wink:
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE