regarding merge stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vijaykumar
Participant

regarding merge stage

Post by vijaykumar »

Hi gurus,
i want to merge 2 ODBC databases, but what i try to join two odbc stages, iam getting a message that merge doesn't support i/p links.
what i learned is merge works just like a join, but now why am i getting this type of peculiar message, plz help me to analyze the property.

cheers;
vijay
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

With Merge stage you can merge only files.
Is it possible for you to merge the queries into a single one?
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

If you are talking about 'Merge Stage'. Merge stage is used to join two files, this is clearly evident when you open the Merge stage as you can see it asks for 'First File Directory Path' and 'Second File Directory Path'.

You can get more info about this stage in DS help.

In your situation, you can use one of the ODBC stages as a lookup and perform a join. But you should consider the performance aspect with this way of doing things.

Whale.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
us1aslam1us
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by us1aslam1us »

I guess you learned something about Parallel Merge stage which is quite different from server merge stage, Here in you can define the files in the stage itself and i am quite sure you will be able to merge only files in server jobs. So the best bet for you will be Join stage.

Sam
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

us1aslam1us wrote: So the best bet for you will be Join stage.
AFAIK we don't have a Join stage in the Server edition.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
us1aslam1us
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by us1aslam1us »

oooops you are right! sorry vijay.

sam
ray.wurlod
Participant

Re: regarding merge stage

Post by ray.wurlod »

vijaykumar wrote:Hi gurus,
i want to merge 2 ODBC databases, but what i try to join two odbc stages, iam getting a message that merge doesn't support i/p links.
what i learned is merge works just like a join, but now why am i getting this type of peculiar message, plz help me to analyze the property.

cheers;
vijay
What you learned relates to parallel jobs only.

In server jobs, you can only do "joins" two ways - in the database itself or using a Transformer stage to perform the lookups.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.