regarding sequencer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vijaykumar
Participant

regarding sequencer

Post by vijaykumar »

hi,
iam running 2 jobs sequentially,
my design is
jobactivity1----->jobactivity2----->sequencer----->
i want to run my jobs every friday, i defined a jobparameter went to edit tab and defined a parameter.
jobactivity2 that means my job2 has many joblevelparameters defined.
where should i include a parameter(ie) the sequencer should run every friday.
is my design itself wrong, plz help me in understanding the design.

cheers;
vijay
thebird
Participant

Post by thebird »

When you want to run your job is a Scheduling consideration. It has nothing to do with your job design (though sometimes scheduling consideration affects job designs).

The Sequencer Activcity only enables you to activate or trigger an activity.

You can schedule you job to run every Friday (at a particular time) from the Director. You can also use other 3rd party scheduling tools like Control-M.

Aneesh
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A Sequencer with one input is a waste of space.

You probably need a Nested Condition activity ahead of Job activity 2; the test expression in the Nested Condition can determine whether the day name is Friday.

Code: Select all

Oconv(@DATE, "DWA") = "FRIDAY"
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

I think you are getting confused between a 'sequencer' and a 'scheduler'.

A 'sequencer' stage cannot be used to schedule your DS jobs/sequences.

A sequencer passes on control to the next phase when either 'ANY' or 'ALL' actvities return TRUE.

This is what DS Help says about it.

Code: Select all

A sequencer allows you to synchronize the control flow of multiple activities in a job sequence. It can have multiple input triggers as well as multiple output triggers.

The sequencer operates in two modes:

ALL mode. In this mode all of the inputs to the sequencer must be TRUE for any of the sequencer outputs to fire.

ANY mode. In this mode, output triggers can be fired if any of the sequencer inputs are TRUE.

If you need to schedule jobs, you can schedule them through an enterprise scheduler like CONTROL^M or Tivoli, etc., or through the DS Director, cron tab, etc.,

Whale.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE