regarding peculiar problem with datastage server

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vijaykumar
Participant

regarding peculiar problem with datastage server

Post by vijaykumar »

Hi,
we have compiled the job and saved. even the jobs which have worked fine now facing with peculiar problem.
i got a peculiar problem, iam getting error.

[data stage][sql clinet][odbc][oracle][odbc][ora]ora-12535.

tns operation timed out.

plz help me out, we dont have any dba here, and you people are gurus , so plz do help me.

cheers;
vijay
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Get a DBA. Seriously. No Oracle site should be without one.

On the server, issue the command oerr ORA 12535 to discover what this error code means and, if you're lucky, what remedial action is appropriate.

And please do co-ordinate with your colleague so that we aren't answering the same question twice.

Oh, in relation to your subject line, it's not a DataStage issue at all.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
johnthomas
Participant

Post by johnthomas »

Try connecting to oracle using toad or sqlplus .If you have problems verify whether entries tnsnames.ora are correct .I dont think this is Dstage problem .
JT
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It's not... and unfortunately you have just strayed into the DBA Woods, sometimes also known as The Forest Of No Return. :wink:

Code: Select all

$ oerr ora 12535
12535, 00000, "TNS:operation timed out"
// *Cause: The requested connection could not be completed within the timeout
// period specified by the CONNECT_TIMEOUT parameter in listener.ora. This
// error arises from the tnslsnr.
// *Action: Either reconfigure CONNECT_TIMEOUT to be 0, which means
// wait indefinitely, or reconfigure CONNECT_TIMEOUT to be some higher
// value. Or, if the timeout is unacceptably long, turn on tracing
// for further information.
The Listener must be running or I'm pretty sure you would have gotten a different error, a hard failure. As JT notes, try connecting from some other source and see if the problem persists. I'm guessing that, with no DBA (!!), you'll need to resort to stopping and restarting at least the listener if not the database as well. Or heck, it's Windows... reboot the server.

+1 to what Ray said. Get a DBA. Seriously. You really cannot run Oracle without one... at least not without a part-time, on-call, can-you-swing-by-and-help-us one. Seriously. Can you tell we're serious?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers