regarding jobparameters

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

avi21st
Charter Member
Charter Member

regarding jobparameters

Post by avi21st »

Hi gurus,

i created user name and password to connect to the database as jobparameters, so that i can make use of them at run time.
this entirely comes in the development environment.
what happens when we deploy the data in the production environment.
how to deal with these parameters, i wasn't involved in the production environment earlier, now i have to involve in production env.
how to deal with these parameters in which i have given user name and password to connect to database as job parameters in production env.
plz help me.

cheers;
vijay
Avishek Mukherjee
Data Integration Architect
Chicago, IL, USA.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

You can still use them when you migrate the job to production. If you had already assigned default values to these job parameters, then those will used by default at run-time in production.

Ofcourse, you can change them at run time. But this is not usually the case. Nobody wants to pass parameters at run-time manually.

Best bet would be to be create environment variables for the same. This way you just change the parameters at one place (DS Administrator). This is at project level.

Also, by assigning the default values to these job parameters as '$PROJDEF' you can migrate DS jobs to different environments without worrying about changing them at job-level.

Whale.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In production open Director and choose the Job menu. Select "Set Defaults". This allows an administrator to change the defaults to be appropriate for the new environment, and to determine whether or not they get prompted for.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
thurmy34
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by thurmy34 »

Hi,
We use an .ini file that we read at the beginning of our jobs control,
Then value of the parameters are set by DSSetParam
Hope This Helps
Regards
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That's a good approach, provided that no-one else can read it to see values for passwords.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
johnthomas
Participant

Post by johnthomas »

Also try this option . Define the Job parameters in a sequencer job and set those to the parameters in the job activity. This way it will be easier to maintain.
JT