dealing with erp applications

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

avi21st
Charter Member
Charter Member

dealing with erp applications

Post by avi21st »

Hi,
i was just curious to know connection with ERP APPLICATIONS like people soft HR OR FINANCE.
This erp application is the datamart which resides on oracle. how can we connect to people soft application which runs on oracle.

Do we need to connect to oracle inorder to get in connected with ERP APPLICATIONS which resides on ORACLE.

normally we use ODBC DRIVERS to connect to oracle.
How can i connect to ERP APPLICATION like pepole soft .there is no manual regarding this.

plz help me.

cheers;
abhi
Avishek Mukherjee
Data Integration Architect
Chicago, IL, USA.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

IBM supplies ERP PACKS for DataStage that make extracting data from PeopleSoft a lot easier. You need to pay an additional license fee and you get additional DataStage plugins and a PeopleSoft metadata browser. Contact your IBM sales rep for a demo and pricing.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: dealing with erp applications

Post by chulett »

avi21st wrote:Do we need to connect to oracle inorder to get in connected with ERP APPLICATIONS which resides on ORACLE.
Yes, of course. And you can use ODBC, or a native connection using OCI or through an 'API' like process the PACKS that Vincent mentions would leverage. But you still, one way or another, need to connect to Oracle.

Unless you make arrangements to have the data delivered to you, of course.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
avi21st
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by avi21st »

hi gurus,
THANKS VERY MUCH.

cheers;
abhi
Avishek Mukherjee
Chicago, IL, USA.
avi21st
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by avi21st »

Hi gurus,
when i replied with this answer to my team lead, she is asking me when ERP PACKAGE like people soft is residing on oracle, Why cant we use directly odbc to extract data from oracle, since peoplesoft is residing on oracle.
i said here ERP PACKAGE is the datamart , data from which is again we integrate into oracle.so i said we need both ERP PLUGINS and odbc drivers to connect to both and we have to connect to both am i right, plz guide me .

cheers;
abhi
Avishek Mukherjee
Chicago, IL, USA.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Re-read the answers you got. No-one said you 'needed' the PACKS, just that they makes it easier because they understand the underlying structures and simplify the extraction process.

As noted, if you so desire you can directly connect to the underlying database of any application, including this one - as long as the owner allows that access. However, that way you would need to understand all of the tables, the nature of the data in them, how they should be joined, etc etc etc.
-craig

avi21st
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by avi21st »

Hi Gurus,
our company want to workout with erp applications like peoplesoft.
so they want to analze the entire environment needed to workout with erp applications.
whatever i got the informaton from you was very much valuable.
i want to know - does plugin does everything, is that user friendly, can we connect to peoplesoft directly through that plugin.
is there any datasource or stages in the plugin which deals with these ERP APPLICATIONS.
if possible can u give me atleast one example.plz help me in analyzing the environment required to work out with ERP applications.

cheers;
abhi
Avishek Mukherjee
Chicago, IL, USA.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Probably best to contact whomever at IBM does Sales Support for your company, they should be happy to explain all that. I have no personal experience with those PACKS but have accessed PeopleSoft directly and know what a PITA that can be. :wink:
-craig

I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Hi There,

You could get some valuable info by searching the forum as well.

Here are some links that might be of help I'm sure.

viewtopic.php?t=88187&highlight=peoplesoft+plugin

viewtopic.php?t=96843&highlight=peoplesoft+plugin

viewtopic.php?t=104121&highlight=peoplesoft+plugin

Whale.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
avi21st
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by avi21st »

hi,
you people are the best. thanks very much.

cheers;
abhi
Avishek Mukherjee
Chicago, IL, USA.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The PeopleSoft PACK consists mainly of a lot of canned jobs and routines for accessing data in the various PeopleSoft modules. So you do not need to re-invent the wheel.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
avi21st
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by avi21st »

Hi gurus,

i was able to analyze the entire environment. our team just want to have a example or a sample job , how the plugin look like.

i know this is quite difficult to give a link where this sample job looks like.
not the procedure to develop a job, just a snapshot view of the plugin environment .but it would indeed help us so that i can clearly make my team lead to understand in a clear view.plz help me.As you people are gurus and keen with every environment prob you people might have got a link which has snapshot view.

cheers;
abhi
Avishek Mukherjee
Chicago, IL, USA.