regarding installing of server version

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vijaykumar
Participant

regarding installing of server version

Post by vijaykumar »

Hi,

iam working on stand alone system. iam dealing with oracle database.
when i use odbc to connect to oracle, TNS SERVICE CANNOT BE RESOLVED.

i went to services checked the TNS SERVICE and turned on.
went to odbc.ini file and seen it is configured correctly.
searched for dshome directory where the environmental variables are configured, but couldn't find the directory. went to search and typed dshome directory.

can anyone help me in configuring the problem what might went wrong .
why am i getting such type of error
TNS SERVICE name cannot be resolved. There is no dba in my company.

cheers;
vijay
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: regarding installing of server version

Post by I_Server_Whale »

vijaykumar wrote:Hi,

when i use odbc to connect to oracle, TNS SERVICE CANNOT BE RESOLVED.
Are you able to connect to Oracle normally through SQL plus?

Did you create a system DSN for the database to be used in the ODBC?

Whale.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
vijaykumar
Participant

Post by vijaykumar »

hi,
yaa i was able to connect to oracle normally, but there too i just gave user name and pass word, didn't give the service name ie CONNECTION STRING NAME.I creates DSN but there is no option to check the connection there itself, there is no option to test the connection while creating DSN.

plz gurus help me out.

cheers;
vijay
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

vijaykumar wrote:itself, there is no option to test the connection while creating DSN.
I'm very sure that when you create a DSN for an Oracle DB in Windows, you can test the connection.

I'd say you double check.

Whale.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
vijaykumar
Participant

Post by vijaykumar »

hi GURUS;
when creating odbc connection i have given the following parameters.
i have choosen SYSTEM DSN and selected MICROSOFT ODBC DRIVERS FOR ORACLE.

There are options to specify the datasource name, server name, user name and additional options to increase the performance but no options to test the connection.

We are using Oracle 9i, still couldnot resolve the problem.
plz help me out.

cheers;
vijay
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There isn't a directory (folder) called DSHOME; that's a short cut (and may, if you set it up, be an environment variable). Location of the directory in question is "whereever you installed the server directory", by default C:\Ascential\DataStage\Engine.

However, on Windows there is no .odbc.ini file - this is for UNIX servers only. In Windows everything is done in the Registry.

Try creating a System DSN using the Data Direct ODBC drivers that ship with DataStage, rather than the Microsoft ODBC drivers.

And make sure that the executing user has the Oracle environment variables, such as ORACLE_HOME, correctly set.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vijaykumar
Participant

Post by vijaykumar »

hi,
tried hard but couldn't find the $DSHOME DIRECTORY so that i can configure the orahome path.
went to c\ascential\engine.
could find text folders like UVCONFIG,UV.LOGINS,VOC,UV.ACCOUNT,.UVCONFIG.
could find directories like UVTEMP,INCLUDE,DS_LICENSE.
getting error - DSR.METADATA[GET.DSNINFO]
BCI ERROR:SQL STATE=NA600[DATASTAGE][SQL CLINET][ODBC][MICROSOFT]ODBC DRIVER FOR ORACLE][ORACLE]ORA-12541.
TNS:NO LISTENER.

plz help me as i said our company has no dba.plz help me as i never faced such type of problem

cheers;
vijay
thebird
Participant

Post by thebird »

tried hard but couldn't find the $DSHOME DIRECTORY so that i can configure the orahome path.

You will have to set the ORAHOME path in the dsenv file.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There is no dsenv file on a Windows server. That's a UNIX only concept, Windows controls all that via the registry.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can set environment variables on Windows through Control Panel. Choose the System applet, there's a command button for environment variables. You may need to re-boot (go Microsoft!) for them to take effect.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vijaykumar
Participant

Post by vijaykumar »

hi,
i could resolve the problem, i didn't configure orahome path.
my listener service file was corrupted, i installed with the other one.
earlier i was using the microsoft drivers for oracle , replaced with the oracle orahome 92 drivers, what makes these difference.

i mean whats make oracle drivers more feasible than microsoft drivers for connecting with oracle.plz help me

cheers;
vijaykumar.