upgrading server version

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vijaykumar
Participant

upgrading server version

Post by vijaykumar »

Hi,
one of my friend is asking me can we upgrade server version to parallel version.
i said him its not possible , we can upgrade from one verion like 6.5 to 7.0.
this is what we call as VERSION CONTROL concept.

plz let me know, since i never heard something like upgrading server version to parllel version.

cheers;
vijay
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You CAN upgrade from server to parallel version, simply by purchasing an extra licence. All the software is already in place. However, at version 6 (indeed at any version other than 7.5x2 specificially) you can only design parallel jobs on Windows platforms - you will not be able to execute them.

Have a large amount of cash ready. You'll get a free receipt and an additional authorization code.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
trokosz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by trokosz »

Ray is right and if you desire to convert your Server to Parallel Jobs then there is no magic utility, although if you speak to IBM IIS (Ascential) then they have a DS Migrator offering to help. But stages such as Hash, IPC, LinkPartitioner, LinkCollector, Universe, Folder and some others are no longer used in Parallel and require choosing a different alternative design.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: upgrading server version

Post by I_Server_Whale »

vijaykumar wrote:Hi,
we can upgrade from one verion like 6.5 to 7.0.
this is what we call as VERSION CONTROL concept.

VERSION CONTROL is different from upgrading or migrating the tool.

VERSION CONTROL is used promote DS jobs from one environment to the other.

Whale.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE