Long time taken to import jobs for a project using dsx

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nelab28
Premium Member
Premium Member

Long time taken to import jobs for a project using dsx

Post by nelab28 »

Hi,

I am importing jobs into a project using a dsx file created for an existing project. I was able to import the project in a scratch area in 20 minutes.

The same project when i am trying to import using the project dsx, by creating a new project, it has taken more than 3.5 hrs.

what could be the reason. By running the unix Top command on the server, it is noticed that the Datastage import part is taking only 1.5% of the CPU time, and overall there is 88% idle CPU time.

What could be the reason for such a large time difference between 2 same imports, within a day?

Would the number of current DS projects in the server have a reason to play for the slowness of the imports? There are currently around 18 dsprojects sitting on the server.

Please suggest on the reasons for this delay?...

Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The difference is that, into a new project, the changes are inserts, whereas into an existing project, they are updates. In fact, the difference is more stark than that, but will suffice for the purpose of example.

Inserts are always far more efficient than updates, since they can simply move entire rows. Updates involve lots more I/O (did you monitor disk waits?). Watch the import dialog; it reports everything it's doing (though they do tend to flash by quickly).

The number of projects is irrelevant, unless they are all being heavily used. Your %Idle figure suggests that they are not.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.