making universe files accessible to odbc clinets

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vijaykumar
Participant

making universe files accessible to odbc clinets

Post by vijaykumar »

Hi,
how can i make universe files accessible to odbc clinets, how can i connect my source to universe, iam connecting through odbc, but its not connecting, is there some thing to do in uvfile to connect to universe.can anyone help me out in the pre-requisties in connecting odbc to universe.

cheers;
vijay
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The ODBC driver for UniVerse is on your UniVerse clients CD.

You need to do a small amount of work on the server side to enable the UniVerse account for ODBC access. Ideally you will have an account with clean dictionaries, rather than fifteen years worth of accreted entries that seemed like a good idea at the time. You will then execute the HS.ADMIN menu in the HS.ADMIN account to prepare the account for ODBC access, and revisit this menu any time there is a change to a file (table) you want made visible.

Within the account you will edit HS_FILE_ACCESS to determine which files will be inaccessible, read-only or read-write access.

There are some other optional things you can do, such as creating @SELECT phrases in dictionaries, setting up saved Select Lists as views and so on, but the above is all that is actually needed.

None of this is applicable if your question actually relates to DataStage Repository (project), for which ODBC access can not be configured unless you are prepared to create dictionary items for all the undocumented metadata. In any case, you would still need an ODBC driver for inbound connections for DataStage, and no-one has manufactured one of these. The UniVerse ODBC driver will not work for any DataStage I-descriptor, but will generate an error of the form "not compiled with this product".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
avi21st
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by avi21st »

hi Ray,
Thanks for helping me to find a soultion, iam going for command line approach which iam running from dsxengine.As u said that the first step is to create a datadictionary and afer that use commands, how to create a data dictionary.

cheers;
Avishek Mukherjee
Data Integration Architect
Chicago, IL, USA.