IPC Buffer Size not exceeding 1024Kb

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

asitagrawal
Premium Member
Premium Member

IPC Buffer Size not exceeding 1024Kb

Post by asitagrawal »

Hi,
I have enabled Row -Buffering, inter-process, in my jobs.
In the Job prperties (Performance tab) I am unable to set
Buffer Siez > 1024 Kb.
If I type , say 4096, it changes back to 1024 as I tab out of it.
Anyways, I am using a Job Parameter also to set the IPC buffer size at individual IPCs.

Which one will be ffective, the one at individual IPCs or the Job level?

Also this 'Kb' 0 Kilo Bits or Kilo Bytes.
Acco to me Kb = Kile Bits and KB = Kile Bytes.

Thx for ur answers.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The lower level definition will take precedence. But setting a buffer to such a high value will have no benefit to job speed at all, in fact it might even cause the job to run slower.

to quote myself from some thread a long time ago:
ArndW wrote:...you might not be using explicit IPC stages, but by specifying inter-process buffering you are effectively making all of your active stages into separate processes that communicate with the other stages via named pipes - so you are ending up doing IPC.

A pipe between processes can be visualized something like a bathtub. The writing process fills the tub with water, the reading process is the drain and empties the bathtub. Your buffer size is the size of the bathtub. If the filler & emptier are working at about the same speed, then the size of the bathtub really doesn't matter. The buffering effect comes when one or the other only works in bursts; then you want the tub to be full enough to let the draining continue when filling stops or that there is enough room to fill up for a while if the draining stops.

The timeout is just used as an abort. If the tub is empty/full and the waiting process has to wait for longer than the the timeout interval an error is raised - the assumption is that the something has gone wrong with one of the processes and the job is made to abort.
So usually whether your buffer is sink-sized, bathtub-sized or swimming-pool sized makes no difference to the actual processing rates, but allocating large buffers will waste memory.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The behaviour of the control suggests that the upper limit is 1024KB. In a quick survey I can not find a limit documented.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
asitagrawal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by asitagrawal »

Thanks Ray & ArndW!

Any comments on this..
Also this 'Kb' 0 Kilo Bits or Kilo Bytes?
(Acco to me Kb = Kile Bits and KB = Kile Bytes.)
What do u say?
Thx
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In DataStage, KB is always 1,024 bytes, MB is always 1,024,576 bytes, and GB is 1,073,741,824 bytes. Never bits.

Or 1,024; 10,24,576 and 1,07,37,41,824 on the sub-continent! :wink:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.