Can we install the datastage server without database?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ICE
Participant

Can we install the datastage server without database?

Post by ICE »

Dear All,

May I know whether we can install the Datastage server without installing the database on that datastage server?
As per my knowledge,I think we must have the database on the datastage server.
Am I correct?

Thanks,
Prashantoncyber
Participant

Post by Prashantoncyber »

Datastage has its own database called "DataStage Engine" which is derived from UniVerse which gets installed anutomatically while installing datastage server & where all repository objects are stored.
Hence as far as I know datastage cant be installed with out this database.
thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

To which database are you referring? DataStage must have its own database, called the Repository, co-resident. You don't get a choice on this.

But any database that you are accessing for data and metadata can be anywhere accessible from the DataStage server; in particular it does not need to be co-resident. Beware, however, that performing lookups over a network is one of the least performant activities that DataStage can do.

All this changes in version 8.0, when you can separate the repository (IBM Information Server, or IIS), the application server (IBM Websphere Application Server, or WAS), and the DataStage client onto separate machines if you wish.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

As noted, it would have been nice to know what 'the database' is that you are referring to. If you are asking if something like an Oracle database, let's say, needs to be installed on the same server as DataStage to be accessable by it - heck no. That would be one heck of a limitation in the product. :shock:

Depending on exactly what you are accessing, you may find you'll need a copy of their client software installed on the DataStage server - but nothing more than that.

If you mean the 'repository' database that holds all things DataStage, then that answer is a resounding 'yes'... until 8.x comes out. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ICE
Participant

Post by ICE »

Yes.I mean it for the other database like oracle or sql server or something like that.I don't mean for Datastage universal database.
So,after I read your resposes ,I understand as I don't need database to install datastage server.Am I right?
So that means, datastage server and database server can be on the different servers.Right?

:roll:
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

So,after I read your resposes ,I understand as I don't need database to install datastage server.Am I right?
Right
So that means, datastage server and database server can be on the different servers.Right?
Right
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DeepakCorning »

Yes , No req of a Database to install DS server.
ICE
Participant

Post by ICE »

I got it.
Thanks so much for all of your responses.
:)
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

One way to look at it is that what you can access from your PC is similar to what DataStage can access from its server. You can access databases on database servers with the right client software such as Oracle client or ODBC. You cannot open MS Access databases or files on other computers unless you copy it to your computer or map a drive. Same with the DataStage server.

The main benefit of putting a database on the DataStage server is as a staging area where you can do fast bulk loads directly into that database from DataStage without any network latency. It doesn't make sense to put an operational or reporting database on the DataStage server as the users of that database would be constantly vying with DataStage for CPU and RAM resources.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Another way to look at it is from the database server's perspective.

A running DataStage job, or a metadata import or View Data request from DataStage, is just another client application as far as the database server is concerned.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.