Bulk Loader using oracle 10g

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

SPA_BI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Bulk Loader using oracle 10g

Post by SPA_BI »

Currently I use an ORAOCI9 Stage to Update existing records and Insert new ones. I'd like to use a bulk loader to carry out this process as it currently takes a long time to load records. Is this possible?

Can anyone give me some suggestions?
from SPA_BI
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Give it a try... the OCI Bulk stage works fine with 10g from my experience.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Chuah
Participant

Re: Bulk Loader using oracle 10g

Post by Chuah »

SPA_BI wrote:Currently I use an ORAOCI9 Stage to Update existing records and Insert new ones. I'd like to use a bulk loader to carry out this process as it currently takes a long time to load records. Is this possible?

Can anyone give me some suggestions?
Hi,

Don't think sqlloader lets your perform UPDATES but for INSERTs it's what it's designed for . SO in your job split your UPDATES and INSERTS, for updates you'll still need to use ORAOCI9 but for the INSERTs try sqlloader.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You can also try a couple of other techniques. One is to bulk load your inserts directly into the target table and bulk load the updates into a work table. Then an Oracle MERGE can perform the updates.

Another approach is to ensure all you do are inserts. Any changed records can be deleted from the target first and then everything can be bulk loaded as an insert.

Always more than one way to approach something, it seems. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

You know what the experts say, "If you cannot find atleast two ways of achieving a task, you just havent thought hard enough" :wink:
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.