Job Not doing anything.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Job Not doing anything.

Post by DeepakCorning »

We have master sequence activities which call another set of sub master sequence activities and these sub master sequence activities call the jobs. The problem that we are facing from thelast 2 months is that the jobs froze (not the same but different places).

Previously we had this probelm once in two weeks but now it has increased to once in a week.

We have two more projects in the same project but they do not have any such probelms. I have tried everything (log puging , not applying MS patches etc.) but nothing seem to work. I am now out of solutions.
ANy help will be appreciated...Do i sound Frustrated??;)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Symptoms? What were the most recent events logged? Have you got any progress reporting so that you can pinpoint the point of "failure" more accurately? My advice would be to put some in - maybe just before-stage and after-stage subroutines that report "got this far - in stage xyz".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DeepakCorning »

Well when you say point of" Failure" , I can not say there is any. It randomly Freezes in any of the process and at any point. The last Log which is show off in the job which keeps on saying "running" is cleared Job logs.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

So what else is happening at these times? Is someone quiescing a database (even the DataStage Repository) perhaps?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DeepakCorning »

Nope, nothing happens at this time on the server.
prasad111
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Job Not doing anything.

Post by prasad111 »

DeepakCorning wrote:We have master sequence activities which call another set of sub master sequence activities and these sub master sequence activities call the jobs. The problem that we are facing from thelast 2 months is that the jobs froze (not the same but different places).

Previously we had this probelm once in two weeks but now it has increased to once in a week.

We have two more projects in the same project but they do not have any such probelms. I have tried everything (log puging , not applying MS patches etc.) but nothing seem to work. I am now out of solutions.
ANy help will be appreciated...Do i sound Frustrated??;)
whenever you run a job it writes RT_LOG file, it stores warnings, errors .......information, so if you have 1 million record and for every record a warning is created then the size of the RT_LOG is going to increase and it will show memory full and it will not run that job it frozes..........

so check out for the last DSJOB it got stuck and try to rectify that job......play aroung with it
DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Job Not doing anything.

Post by DeepakCorning »

Thats informative.Any idea how much shuld I let the RT_LOGnnn to grow?.

Depending on this I can archive the Logs in a file and purge all of them once in 7 days may be.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Keep RT_LOGnnnn as small as possible, if only for performance reasons.
You can archive and purge as often as you like.