Jobs Not Opening Prpoerly

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

velagapudi_k
Premium Member
Premium Member

Jobs Not Opening Prpoerly

Post by velagapudi_k »

Hi all
I recently joined a new organization. we have 2600 jobs in a single project(many of them are unused). When I am trying to look into a sequence like double clicking a routine activity stage, its neither opening nor the job is hanging in other words it is doing nothing. Even when I am right clicking the routineactivity stage and click on propertie, then also I cant do anything. We donot have an admin right now. What I am thinking is re-indexing the project, but before doing that I would like to have some feedback from the wise guys. Any help is appreciated.
Venkat Velagapudi
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Rather than reindex, why not create a set of projects, export subsets of the big project and deploy into the new projects. Instead of having 2600 jobs in one project, look to manage this better.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What you're getting is not really a hang, it's impatience on your part. DataStage has to populate a drop-down list of all job names. At the same time it gathers information about the parameters of each, so as to be ready to load the grid when you select a job. Inefficient? Maybe, but that's how it works.

More efficient is to drag the actual job from the Repository into the job sequence - that way there's no issue with populating the drop-down list.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dsscholar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Jobs Not Opening Prpoerly

Post by dsscholar »

See if you can open any stage in a server job. If the problem is only with jobs/routines properties in a sequencer that it could be because of Service Pack 2.I faced the same problem some time back. I am using Server Edition 7.5 and after Service Pack 2 was installed on my machine, I could nt open properties of jobs/routines in a sequencer,neither did DS hung because of that, and I was able to open properties of all the stages in all the server jobs.

The problem was solved after I installed a patch provided by my support group.
velagapudi_k
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by velagapudi_k »

What you're getting is not really a hang, it's impatience on your part.
. I didnt say its hanging ray. I am saying its not doing anything after I double clicked the Job activity or routine activity stage. Its not even my impatience because I am waiting for 4-5 mins for the properties to appear.

dsscholar, looks like my problem is same as yours. I am able to open the stages in the jobs. The problem is only with the sequences.
Thanks for your reply
Venkat Velagapudi
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is your client Windows XP sp2 and, if so, do you have the requisite patch for DataStage?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
velagapudi_k
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by velagapudi_k »

Yes my client is Windows XP sp2. What is the name of the patch. So I can ask my admins
Venkat Velagapudi
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's called something obvious, like ds_xpsp2, from memory.
pankajg
Participant

Post by pankajg »

kcbland wrote:Rather than reindex, why not create a set of projects, export subsets of the big project and deploy into the new projects. Instead of having 2600 jobs in one project, look to manage this better. ...
That means one should limit the number of jobs in the project..
Can you please suggest the maximum number of jobs in a project ?
I would also like to learn, about the pros and cons of having jobs split across seperate projects?

Please help
Failures push you towards Success.