Passing UserID and Password for DB connection

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

tiozzo
Charter Member
Charter Member

Passing UserID and Password for DB connection

Post by tiozzo »

Is there a way to reference only the DB connection without hardcoding the USERID and PASSWORD anywhere in datastage? We currently have the SERVER, USERID and PASSWORD as parameters.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Hello Tiozzo,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "hardcoding" as you already are using parameters and their runtime values for the database related values. Could you perhaps eloborate on which values you want to change?
tiozzo
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by tiozzo »

I had a meeting with our DBA this morning and he stated that he didn't like the idea of the tool asking for userid and password but rather it should ask for Database Connection (Which points to a common userid and password). This way the UserID and Password is passed through a connection.

Hopefully this is more clear.
DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DeepakCorning »

I am still confused when you say it should ask for just the "Database Connection " and then use a common User name and Password. That does not make any sense to me. :shock:
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I get what his DBA is wanting.
Correct me if i am wrong tiozzo, your dba wants your database stage to point to a connection file and dynamically pick up the username and password from there.
Tell him its out of the scope of this tool. Such a file does exist, the uvodbc.config and .odbc.ini files. They have this information. But these files specify the odbc handle for the stages. The database stage still, explicitly, needs the username and password to connect. Thats the way it works.
According to my opinion. Correct me if i am wrong gurus.

You can tell you dba that ok, i will keep that username and password and the dsn name in one file and read it dynamically by passing the parameters during runtime from that file.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
tiozzo
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by tiozzo »

DSGuru2b yes you are correct.
Can a few more gurus confirm what DSguri2b is saying is true?
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

tiozzo wrote:Can a few more gurus confirm what DSguri2b is saying is true?
DSguri ???
Dude, you made me a female :?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DeepakCorning »

:lol:
I agree with DSGURU. I am not aware of any other methods other than what He has mentioned and hence was little confused.
clickart
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by clickart »

Tiozzo,
I agree with DSGuru. In our project, we too are having the authentication details in a separate file and pass it as job parameters during runtime.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Ask your DBA to connect to a database from a command prompt without using user id and password (the way he wants from datastage). You can follow the same process. :wink:
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Kumar, you want the poor fellow to get in trouble with his DBA ? :wink: