Operator Role problem

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

userasif
Participant

Operator Role problem

Post by userasif »

Hi to all,

I have created a user group in windows and assign DataStage Operator Role to this group from DataStage Administrator.
I was expecting that when i login to Director by any user of this group, i could run jobs ............... but the problem is I could not EVEN VIEW my jobs and commands/menu to run jobs are all DISABLED.

Tell me what i am missing.

Thanks
Kirtikumar
Participant

Post by Kirtikumar »

For operator, job run is allowed. I think job design can not be seen for this role.

If you want access to job design, assign Developer role.
Regards,
S. Kirtikumar.
userasif
Participant

Post by userasif »

I dont want to access job design.........
The problem is that Operator Role has permission to run and manage jobs.........but in my case I dont have these permissions... I canot run jobs because I am not able to view them...............WHY?

I want to just only RUN jobs through this role.......
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

userasif - Either If you dont find any jobs or if they are not compiled, you may not see the options to run the jobs. So check if you were able to find the jobs using other User id.
If not even in other user id, you may need to Reindex your project.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No, no, no... read the documentation on what exactly the Operator role allows. An Operator can only see Released jobs - something basically no-one does anymore. In other words, the advent of Version Control completely nerfed the Operator role.

Give them access to the project as a Developer but make sure the project either contains all 'read only' jobs (via Version Control) or make it a Protected project. They'll be able to see but not change any job designs. You can look into getting around that by removing the Designer from their workstations if that ability really bothers you.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In 8.0 there is a new role called Super Operator, who can view but not change job designs. And can run all jobs that are in a runnable state, not just released jobs.

Incidentally, Director for PDA is no longer available.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

I tested when I posted. I changed one user as Operator and restarted Datastage. But I was able to find the jobs, using that id. Now I could see that, the Operator user id has dstage as one of the group.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
userasif
Participant

Post by userasif »

Thanx to all but my problem is still there........
I have tried a lot of time.....when i change role from OPERATOR to DEVELOPER....useroperator can view and run jobs but when i again change this role to OPERATOR and login again......now useroperator can not view any job.

Please help me i am stick with it.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The Operator role can only run RELEASED jobs. It's a major restriction, which is why hardly anyone makes use of that role, and why IBM has put in the SuperOperator role in version 8.0.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

userasif wrote:I have tried a lot of time.....
Hmm... I think there is a Dilbert cartoon about trying something over and over, expecting it to eventually work the way to want it to. :wink:

Have you thought about the other suggestions made in this thread? Making the jobs read only or making the project a Protected project, for example?
-craig

userasif
Participant

Post by userasif »

Ray Thanks a lot :D . I got the solution by releasing jobs.
Any how i have a suggestion for IBM to please mention in documentation that 'A job must be RELEASED to be used in OPERATOR role. Otherwise it will not be available'.

Thanks to all.

Regards,

ITsME
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ray, smay... I told you that over a month ago. And how did we know this, you ask? Because it is in the documentation. Granted, it's kind of buried in the Setting Up Users and Group section of the 'Pre-Install Checks and Set Up' chapter of the Installation and Upgrade Guide, but it *is* there. :twisted:

And... releasing jobs? Yurk. Great, now your Operators can see the jobs listed in the Director but you've got no design time information for those jobs which will severely limit your ability to support them in that Project. Good luck with that.

Oh, and keep in mind the lovely fact that the various releases (if you keep multiple versions there) are string sorted... and the last one in the list is the version that is actually run when you request a run of the base job name. So there can technically be times where the last one is not the latest one. Then there's the whole issue of Sequence jobs... I vaguely recall problems with them. Been way too long since I stopped releasing jobs.

You sure you made the right choice here?
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

chulett wrote:Hmm... I think there is a Dilbert cartoon about trying something over and over, expecting it to eventually work the way to want it to. :wink:
This one?

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

-- Benjamin Franklin
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

-craig