Setting DB2 environment variables

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

avi21st
Charter Member
Charter Member

Setting DB2 environment variables

Post by avi21st »

I am using DB2 i series as database and I have set the DB2 path in my .profile for connecting to the database from Unix. For the Datastage also I am able to connect to database - ( We are using DB2 connect).

Now in Enterprise edition I remember we had to setup the following DB2 variables....$INSTHOME
$APT_DB2INSTANCE_HOME
$APT_DBNAME
$APT_RDBMS_COMMIT_ROWS

I still see them in the DSParams for the Server edition....do I need to set i in the Server edition..if so how..Do I directly hard code in the DSParams file>
Avishek Mukherjee
Data Integration Architect
Chicago, IL, USA.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can set them as job parameters in server jobs, but they will have no effect whatsoever. You need the "regular" DB2 environment variables, not the APT ones, which are only for parallel jobs.
For server jobs, it is enough to have the environment variables (such as DB2INSTANCE) set in the dsenv script, but you can also set them up as user-defined environment variables in Administrator and then use them as job parameters in server jobs, giving you the opportunity to override values at run time.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
avi21st
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by avi21st »

ray.wurlod wrote:You can set them as job parameters in server jobs, but they will have no effect whatsoever. You need the "regular" DB2 environment variables, not the APT ones, which are only for parallel jobs.
For server jobs, it is enough to have the environment variables (such as DB2INSTANCE) set in the dsenv script, but you can also set them up as user-defined environment variables in Administrator and then use them as job parameters in server jobs, giving you the opportunity to override values at run time.
Heh Ray ..I was waiting for you answer..thanks a lot

I have setup the DB2INSTANCE and DB2COMMITROWS as user defined variables...I also asked the developers to override the commit rows in their jobs depending on requirements.
Avishek Mukherjee
Data Integration Architect
Chicago, IL, USA.