Datastage Development Environment Setup Consideration

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

holymac
Participant

Datastage Development Environment Setup Consideration

Post by holymac »

Dear All,

Would like to put forward this question:

We are to prepare a datastage development environment for implementation and testing of a datawarehouse module. What are the consideration to be addressed in preparing one?

I would like to get feedback from everyone in this forum.

Thanks in advance.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Are these job interview questions?
Mamu Kim
holymac
Participant

Post by holymac »

No it is not Duke. This is an actual scenario i am facing right now.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Is the module already a working piece???
Well, make sure you have enough disk space for accomodating staging files/reject files. Also, make sure you dont create any file in the datastage directory.
My 2 cents.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Re: Datastage Development Environment Setup Consideration

Post by ray.wurlod »

holymac wrote:I would like to get feedback from everyone in this forum.
Are you sure? There are over 13,000 registered.

Your question really boils down to installing everything you need (it's easiest to install all plug-in stage types), making sure there's plenty of resources (CPU, memory and disk space, and more disk space), and having a robust metadata management strategy in place before you start. This last includes all the standards that you might like to implement.

If you can set up separate development and test environments, you will have the luxury of being able to "load test"; that is, to conduct tests using production-level volumes of data. You would probably never need to do so in a development environment.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
holymac
Participant

Post by holymac »

Dear Ray,

I guess my sentence was misleading. Sorry about that. I wanted to get feedback from any of the members of this forum who might have setup something similar in a major scale of sort.

Dear DSguruDB,

Previously i have created similar environment but for small scale developments within the same DW, but this one will be for a major development. There are multiple modules and this is one of them. So i just want to consider views from others in the forum so that i wont miss any crucial consideration.

Appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks in advance.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I agree with Ray volume testing is important. Somethings break when you put more pressure on them. I always try to run the ETL from end to end, meaining every job. A full run or simulation of a production run is very important to successful implementation.
Mamu Kim