the way to import and export XML file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

parvathi
Participant

the way to import and export XML file

Post by parvathi »

Hi...
I want to export a job in an XML format . And then i want to get each and every property of the job (including meta data information) used in the job in XML inputstage.. After that i want to send it to XML output stage with some modifications. in the transformer stage.
when i import the changed xml file ,the changes made to xml file should reflect in the job
loveojha2
Participant

Post by loveojha2 »

I think dsx is a better choice, if you want to dig information related with jobs or want general modifications,
but I guess it should also be possible through xml (but would be complicated, involved and slow (since the size)).

Through the manager at the time of export (the export dialog box) check the check box for xml export and you are done.
Success consists of getting up just one more time than you fall.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Re: the way to import and export XML file

Post by ray.wurlod »

parvathi wrote:Hi...
I want to export a job in an XML format . And then i want to get each and every property of the job (including meta data information) used in the job in XML inputstage.. After that i want to send it to XML output stage with some modifications. in the transformer stage.
when i import the changed xml file ,the changes made to xml file should reflect in the job
Only if the changes you made were valid.
You might want to consider the "default valued properties" and "read only objects" options when exporting. You get a larger export file, but you do get everything.

But you are hugely confused.

The XML export file is not in a form that can be readily be processed with XML Input/XML Output/XML Transformer stages. For a start it's likely to be too large. Secondly, and more important, it contains metadata rather than data; what style sheet were you planning to use? Where were you intending to obtain the metadata (table definition) for driving this processing?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
parvathi
Participant

xml file

Post by parvathi »

thanks.. i was able to process the xml file...
But one thing in that it is taking a lot of time to run the job containing

folder stage------>xmlinput------>transformer---->xmloutputstage

Are there methods to increase the performance...??
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes, have fewer, smaller XML files. These stages were intended to process short messages when exposed as a web service - they are not intended to perform "grunt work". Investigate DataStage TX as an alternative.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
parvathi
Participant

xml

Post by parvathi »

okay... i will do small xml files....

but i was getting the following error when i was generating the xml outfile

Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only one top level element is allowed in an XML document. Error processing resource 'file://10.237.237.36/Angel_DS/Angel/Px...

<DSExport>
-^

what should be done to overcome the error.....??