Hash File Lookup

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ewartpm
Participant

Hash File Lookup

Post by ewartpm »

Hi Guys

I'm getting a strange occurrence when I build the hash file.

The data in the source table contains a hypen i.e. '-' in this case the account number.
A key column on the hash file is the account number varchar(15).

Any account number with a hypen in it is not written to the hash file. There are no warnings in the job log to indicate a problem. :?

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It won't help to say it oughtn't to happen.

Are you SURE there is no constraint or other obstacle to the write? How many rows does the job indicate were sent to the hashed file? How many actually made it? Can you reproduce it with a different hashed file? How was the hashed file created?

I've just created a test job (7.5.1) and it's entirely happy to load rows into a hashed file with VarChar(15) key and hyphens in the data values - starting, intermediate and trailing, all were accepted.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Do you have a hidden null in the key string?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

As noted, Something Else is going on as there are no prohibitions against hypens in any kind of string hashed file field.

Perhaps a constraint is not allowing those rows to be written? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ewartpm
Participant

Post by ewartpm »

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies.

No constraint specified in the job. Out of 100 000 rows, get 15 with hyphens which do not appear in the hash file. The link information says that the rows were written to the hash file.

I thought maybe it was a character that Datastage displayed, when using the 'view data' option, that was perhaps something else. I then queries the source data using a sql tool and it showed a hyphen.

I'm stumped!! :(
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

Don't trust the link information. It's tricky. Go into the administrator and then count the number of records in your hashed file using the command

Code: Select all

COUNT HASHEDFILENAME
If you are creating your hashed file within your Account then you can execute the above statement. If not( if you are creating it as a pathed hashed file) you will have to use a SET.FILE command to make VOC entry for that hashed file.
Kris

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:? Ok, another guess... perhaps your key choices are causing these 15 records to collapse down to one? Don't forget there are no such things as duplicates in a hashed file, it's destructive overwrite based on the keys defined - and last one in wins.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

ewartpm wrote: The link information says that the rows were written to the hash file.
No, the link information says that the rows were SENT to the hashed file.

Something has apparently prevented their being written.

Can you try two diagnostic things? First, replace the Hashed File stage with a Sequential File stage. Second, replace the Hashed File stage with a UV stage that refers to the same hashed file (you may need to create a VOC pointer, for example using the SETFILE command). Can you let us know what happens in each case?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ewartpm
Participant

Post by ewartpm »

Thanks for the replies. Problem is I don't have 'Premuim Support' so can't see the full answer. :oops:

My boss is getting a long , long justification...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Part of which is "less than US$1 per week". :idea:

(There are also corporate premum memberships available that discount this even further!)

Buy now! Send money, for free receipt! :lol:
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Have you tried re-loading the table definition, in case what's in your job is out of synch with what's in the Repository? Or re-importing, even?