Can a Scheduler kick off DSJob ?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kaps
Participant

Can a Scheduler kick off DSJob ?

Post by kaps »

Hi

Do you know of any third party schedulers(like Autosys, Control M etc...) which is integrated with DataStage meaning that we can kick of the DataStage Jobs directly from Scheduler without having to write a shell or windows bat scripts.

Thanks
prabu
Participant

Re: Can a Scheduler kick off DSJob ?

Post by prabu »

kaps wrote:Hi

Do you know of any third party schedulers(like Autosys, Control M etc...) which is integrated with DataStage meaning that we can kick of the DataStage Jobs directly from Scheduler without having to write a shell or windows bat scripts.

Thanks
Kaps, You need to pass on the parameters when you run a datastage job,is it not??. how can this be achieved without a shell script. dsjob is the command which will kick start your job. AFAIK of autosys it is always attached with a shell script. google utosys JIL script for the parameters required for JIL script.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Technically, any of them can run dsjob directly as it's just another operating system command. That being said, however, you don't really want to do that for a number of reasons.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kaps
Participant

Post by kaps »

Craig,

Can you please share top 3 reason why you don't want to do that ?

I can think of few like validating parameter files, hard coding lot of directories/variables and capturing the log...

Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That's 3. :wink: I also validate the job exists and reset the job if it needs it. Two BIG ones right there. Build a proper set of parameter name/value pairs for the command line is another. Yada yada.

Lots of other functionality could be included depending on your needs.
-craig

prabu
Participant

Post by prabu »

kaps wrote:Craig,

I can think of few like validating parameter files, hard coding lot of directories/variables and capturing the log...

Thanks
please share your reasons of why dont want it sheduled with the in-built datastage scheduler, then???
prabu
Participant

Post by prabu »

kaps wrote:Craig,

Thanks
please share your reasons of why don't want it get sheduled with the in-built datastage scheduler, then???
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Because that 'just' uses cron on a UNIX system. We have lots of dependancies between processes and sometimes across servers. You need an Enterprise Scheduler to do that and we have Control-M. It also handles messaging by linking to our 'paging and escalation' system without having to script it in.

If cron works for you, go for it.
-craig

vsi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vsi »

Now anyway as the topic is going on schedulers, I might pop in related questions

a) can v trigger a batch, the same way we trigger jobs.

b) did any1 see just a batch being kicked off without passing any parameters to the batch itself. Because I dont see anyway that I am going to use parameters from unix script. I am using all parameters from a database table. Or is it different parametes you are talking about.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Batch, Sequence, Server, PX... doesn't matter. If you can run it from Director, you can run it from the command line using dsjob.

We occassionally pass in parameters at the command line (typically processing dates) but the jobs mostly read their own from config files. If whatever you are calling for your topmost job control doesn't need parameters, then you're good. But if it does, it's simple enough to pass them to the script and have the script build the appropriate "-PARAM name=value" chunks as it shifts through the arguments on the fly.
-craig