look up issue

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sdfasih
Participant

look up issue

Post by sdfasih »

Hi ,
I would like to know is it possible to do a lookup on the fields of two look up hash files as I am trying to drag and drop the field but it remains red.I have made them as keys too and tried but they still remain red.Please suggest.
Thanx
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

It is red but it should compile and run.
Mamu Kim
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If you mean you want to use the result of the first lookup in a key expression of the second lookup, then as Kim notes it will stay red but will compile and run. Lookups are done in order, so make sure you've got that right!

Can't say if that behaviour will stay consistent across future versions as it is (technically) 'illegal'... hence the redness. If you mean something else, let us know.

There have been a few spirited discussions on the 'legality' of the technique in the past, so don't see a need to beat that old dead horse. Suffice it to say it does work now, may not in the future and if you want to not have the red, use two transformers. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers