Duplicate records in a Hash File !!!

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jeawin
Participant

Duplicate records in a Hash File !!!

Post by jeawin »

Yes, I know it's not possible, and I've never seen it before, but one of the DataStage job log files (RT_LOGnnnn) at UniVerse level does have duplicates in it.

As well as duplicate log records even the //SEQUENCE.NO record is duplicated!

Trying to view the log in Director makes Director crash out completely with the error:

Run-time error '457':
This key is already associated with an element of this collection

However, by trawling through the log entries in the UniVerse RT_LOGnnnn file I found this error:
Incorrect group hash in DBsplit30!!

Trying to copy the records into another dummy hash file had the predictable result - it told me Record already exists in file. But I have managed to copy the data into another, unused RT_LOG file at UNIX.

Doing a sort on the file at UniVerse level gives:

SORT ONLY RT_LOG3238 02:57:31pm 02 Aug 2006 PAGE 1
RT_LOG........................

etc. down to...
//JOB.STARTED.NO
//PURGE.SETTINGS
//SEQUENCE.NO
//SEQUENCE.NO

857 records listed.
>
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You have a broken file. You can try using UVFIXFILE in TCL to fix it or, if it doesn't contain vital information, do a "CLEAR.FILE RT_LOGnnn" and then you can manually add in the purge settings.
jeawin
Participant

Post by jeawin »

Thanks ArndW. I have already cleared the file so we could continue. I really only posted this out of interest.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

It is possible to have duplicates without it being broken. If you have a space in a key then it will look like a duplicate. I agree with Arnd, I think this is broken.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It is not possible to have true duplicates without the hashed file being damaged. <pedantry>Non-printing and space characters are not duplicate keys.</pedantry> Although they may appear to be, to the human viewer.

There are a couple of ways that duplicate keys can occur in a damaged hashed file. One results from an older version of the record, which had been marked as deleted (free space) getting its free space bit reset (highly unusual). The other is the one you've encountered, where an invalid operation (perhaps split, perhaps merge, perhaps overflow allocation) has resulted in mismatched pointers, so that one copy of the record is not in the correct physical group. But can still be found on a sequential scan through the file. You might also get "record id xxx does not has to group nnn!!" messages in processing such a hashed file.

Obviously clearing the file means that it has no logical groups, and any physical structure will be marked entirely as free space, so the invalid pointers will become extinct.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
palaniappan
Participant

Post by palaniappan »

Hello,

I am facing the same problem in a project. When I connect it throws up a message

Run-time error '457':
This key is already associated with an element of this collection

But going through this post I am not clear what is the resolution. Pls suggest.

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That has nothing whatsoever to do with hashed files, indeed it's a problem on the client. Please begin a new thread.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.