DataStage on Windows 2003 and VM

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Other than huge performance impact if you read/write a lot of files (sequential and hashed), which pretty much sums up ETL with DataStage. Sure a VM is cool if you're doing some lite development as a single person on a single machine, but if you're talking about running a production environment, don't even think about it.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
scottopizza
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by scottopizza »

Thanks, Kenneth!

You confirmed my suspicions and we are definitely going non-VM. So, thanks again!

Scott
chucksmith
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by chucksmith »

We are running 7.5.2 on free VMware server hosted on a Windows 2003 Server 64 bit HP DL385. It appears to be working fine. We moved into production last Wednesday. Our old server was out of horse power. Based upon faster hardware, performance has almost doubled.

However, free VMware Server is limited to 2 CPUs (cores) and 3.6 GB of memory per virtual machine. So, if you are serious about virtualization, VMware ESX is probably the product of choice.
shawn_ramsey
Participant

Post by shawn_ramsey »

The issue is that it is still not a supported platform. That being said when I went to IBM training on the Parallel edition they used Linux VMWare machine as our server.
Shawn Ramsey

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
-- Douglas Adams
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I also agree that vmware is not for a production ETL server. It is fantastic for maintaining portable training and evaluation environments. On a Windows server your RAM and CPU power gets divided between the host and the vmware session so you never really get 100% of the resources on the box for your DataStage jobs, plus there is the minor overhead of the bridging between the two for passing data. Since a production DataStage server is used primarily for DataStage jobs it is better to install DataStage directly onto it.
John Smith
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by John Smith »

vmcburney wrote:I also agree that vmware is not for a production ETL server. It is fantastic for maintaining portable training and evaluation environments. On a Windows server your RAM and CPU power gets divided between the host and the vmware session so you never really get 100% of the resources on the box for your DataStage jobs, plus there is the minor overhead of the bridging between the two for passing data. Since a production DataStage server is used primarily for DataStage jobs it is better to install DataStage directly onto it.
hi vincent,
do you have any guide on how to set up information server on one machine (single PC) with vmware? we're trying to set up portable evaluation environment. any links or pointers would be much appreciated.
most of the information on the ibm website is for 2 machines ,one for the client and another for the server products.
thanks.
vasudev
Participant

Whether or not DataStage supports running on a VMWare?

Post by vasudev »

To all the Gurus in the forums:
I'm Vasu and a Datastage developer. My question for you all is the same question my lead asked me.
My lead asked: " we have been asked to take a look at all are servers and their applications to see if we can move to a VM environment. Will you look into where or not DataStage Supports running form a Virtual Environment"

To be honest I was not aware of the Virtual environment. I did study about this on the internet. Can the gurus give me complete insight how VM and Datastage work and its related complexities. I read some thread here but could not assimilate. Can you guys be clear and simple as I don't understand hi fi terminology.

thank you
Vasu
-------------
He who asks a question may be a fool for five minutes, but he who never asks a question remains a fool forever.
chucksmith
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by chucksmith »

Why don't you start at www.vmware.com to get an introduction to virtualization?
vasudev
Participant

Post by vasudev »

Hey Chucksmith!

I did study about VMware, Microsoft virtualization and citrix as well. Infact also did some hardware research from DELL and HP sites as well for the Virtaul Machine and Virtual infrastructure. I got some good knowledge about virtualization but my big question is how does datastage behaves when installing on on a virtual network. Do we get any issues? if so what issues? or not to get any issues what should be the procedure? or my big question does datastage support this infrastructure.

we are running server edition of Datastage on windows env.
I just want to know how these two guys( Datastage and VM env.) talk and communicate, are they ok to run together? thats all!
I will make a report with my research and your ideas and comments.....I will present to the best of my knowledge to my group and then share with you as well....so I'm looking for some help.

Thank you Chucksmith and also in advance to other gurus as well. please reply!

--Vasu
dventuri
Participant

Post by dventuri »

Good evening to everybody.
I work with Datastage 7.5.1A on Windows 2003 on VMware. It works very well but sometime goes into error when you try to transform very huge amount of data! I try to have information but IBM does not support VMware environment (as scottopizza said).
Anywhere it's very simple to work around the problems with loop or split.

So, I have a question for the gurus: Datastage 8.1 on VMware is still not supported by IBM???

Thanks
(and sorry for my english)
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No worries about your English, you wouldn't even want to hear my Italian. :wink:

I'm not certain but I think it is now. I'm pretty sure that the last couple of 8.1 installs I was involved with briefly were actually on VMWare. Hopefully, someone knows for certain.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers