Passing UTF-8 data thru Named Pipes

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Katz,

I think you've narrowed the problem down to an issue that does need to be reported to IBM support. If you are writing to and reading the named pipe in your DS jobs then wouldn't just specifying no NLS mapping for this pipe be sufficient for your job to run correctly, though?
katz
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by katz »

Thanks ArndW,

Of course! *slaps palm to forehead* Sometimes its difficult to see the forest, for the trees.

Your suggestion has worked a treat. I will query with IBM support on the more general question on passing multi-byte characters through named pipes. But for now, simply setting the NLS map to NONE is a satisfactory work-around with these jobs.

katz
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's not just a workaround; it's the appropriate technique for guaranteeing that what comes out of the pipe is precisely what goes in. With any other map you run the risk of unmappable characters being encountered. No-one wants to, needs to, or even can access the rows while they're in the pipe, so there's no need to map the characters.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.