Error calling subroutine (Ascential DS Server Version 7.1)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ajayone
Participant

Error calling subroutine (Ascential DS Server Version 7.1)

Post by ajayone »

================================================
Error calling subroutine: DSD.Browse (Action=2); check DataStage is set up correctly in project ORA
Error calling subroutine: DSR_EXECJOB , DSR_RECORD, DSR_EXECJOB, DSR_JOB (Action=4); check DataStage is set up correctly in project ORA
(Internal Error (81021)
=================================================
Ascential DS Server Version 7.1 on WinXP: I receive this error message when I click on View Data option on Stage ODBC data define box after defining the Input/Output Data.

Please advice how to avoide this error.

Thanks,
A. Adhikari
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Welcome aboard :)
What database are you accessing?
Are you getting this error message with only this job? Or is it in all the jobs in which you are using an odbc stage and trying to view the data ?
Look at this post and read Ray's comment on "Internal error (81021)"
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ajayone
Participant

Post by ajayone »

DSguru2B wrote:Welcome aboard :)
What database are you accessing?
Are you getting this error message with only this job? Or is it in all the jobs in which you are using an odbc stage and trying to view the data ?
Look at this post and read Ray's comment on "Internal error (81021)"
Thank you for your response. I am only getting this error while using ODBC transforming into odbc or ODBC into sequential thru Oracle 9i tables. It works fine with sequential files or .txt files into sequential files or .txt files.

However some tables on ODBC (Oracle tables) works without error. I just couldn't figure this out why only certain table works and others don't.

Please advice.

Ajay
A. Adhikari
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

How many columns are you pulling in the odbc stage?
What if you access the table via OCI stage? do you still get that kind of problem?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ajayone
Participant

Post by ajayone »

DSguru2B wrote:How many columns are you pulling in the odbc stage?
What if you access the table via OCI stage? do you still get that kind of problem?
Just less than 6 columns. One of my table has only two columns, which also fails. I also tried OCI stage as you suggested but still received following message:

"test..Oracle_OCI_9i_0: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name"

Any suggestions? Do you think reinstalling the data stage will solve this issue? Does anyone have any idea if this has anything to do with window's login system? I usually use "omit" during log in but also tried my window's password - both ways work OK to get into the stage but I receive same error.

Do you think some of my trigger or table constraints causing this problem? I am trying to build a sample warehouse using simple tables (job, employee, dept).
A. Adhikari
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The TNS error is a common one when things are misconfigured. Since you are using ODBC on Windows the best, quickest and easiest way to check your system DSN is to use MSQUERY (a free program that comes with Microsoft Office or can be downloaded separately). If you can't connect from MSQUERY then the problem is with your Oracle connectivity or configuration and not within DataStage.
ajayone
Participant

Post by ajayone »

ArndW wrote:The TNS error is a common one when things are misconfigured. Since you are using ODBC on Windows the best, quickest and easiest way to check your system DSN is to use MSQUERY (a free program that comes with Microsoft Office or can be downloaded separately). If you can't connect from MSQUERY then the problem is with your Oracle connectivity or configuration and not within DataStage.
I tried to connect thru MSQUERY but it gives me ODBC error. I think you are right about oracel configuration not working. I will try to reinstall Oracle and see if that will solve the problem. So far I have had no luck. I even tried re-installing the Office.
A. Adhikari
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

check your DSN. is the server name correct there.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Krazykoolrohit wrote:check your DSN. is the server name correct there.
The last test was tried outside datastage which proved that there is something wrong with the odbc connection. No server name, just the odbc configuration that needs to be fixed.
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

doesnt that ODBC connection contain a server name and port and all that stuff?
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

True. But its not DataStage .odbc.ini file. Its the system dsn itself as the OP is not able to get it working via MSQUERY
ajayone
Participant

Post by ajayone »

DSguru2B wrote:True. But its not DataStage .odbc.ini file. Its the system dsn itself as the OP is not able to get it working via MSQUERY
Thanks so much for everyone's response. I am completely new on this field. How do I re-configure ODBC connection?

I reinstalled ORACLE 9i again and it seems to work fine for most of my tables but I still receive this error on few tables. Is there any tool to fix the ODBC connection in case of error?
A. Adhikari
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Fix your ODBC data source name definitions using the ODBC Administrator (odbcad32.exe).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ajayone
Participant

Post by ajayone »

ray.wurlod wrote:Fix your ODBC data source name definitions using the ODBC Administrator (odbcad32.exe). ...
I went in ODBC data source administrator and tested the connection. ODBC driver connection connects successfully to my data source ORA.
For example: I am trying to get maximum value from timestamp (TS) field to get target table updated. I ran user define sql (SELECT MAX(SCOTT.CTL_LOT.TS) FROM SCOTT.CTL_LOT
WHERE SCOTT.CTL_LOT.CTLID = 100;) on stage property. But when I click on View Data, it gives me the error ("Error calling subroutine: DSD.Browse (Action=3); check DataStage is set up correctly in project ORA"). But very similar sql will give the correct result on SQL Plus.

Is there anything else I can try?

One thing however, when I install Oracle 9i, installation wizard automatically created Ora81 (C:\Oracle\Ora81\inventory\ContentsXML) but I manually created Ora9i to install the rest of the system files. I had to do this because on my first installation ODBC administrator recognized my oracle version as Oracle8i for some reason. So I figured ODBC driver takes that naem from whatever folder name initial installation provides.
A. Adhikari
ktm5050
Participant

Post by ktm5050 »

I had similar problems with ODBC so I switched to Dynamic RDBMS stage. It worked fine after the switch. I encountered problem using ODBC on any table with timestamp but after I switched to Dynamic RDBMS stage, everything seem to work fine. I have read some articles about ODBC and it's connection to DB. It loses connection for no good reason.
ktm