Routine Activity - Triggers

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

anu123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Routine Activity - Triggers

Post by anu123 »

greetings.

below is my routine code which gives me previous year based on SYSDATE.
When Iam testing the Routine its working fine. But when I use it in a Sequence job with expression = "OK (Conditional)", the jobs after this Routine Activity are NOT being called.

If I change the Routine Activity Expression to "Unconditional"...all the jobs are being called and finished OK.

I guess, my rotine activity is returning 'previous year' correctly, but its not finishing 'OK'. Its finishing with warnings ( I guess).

Please through some light on it.

------------------------------------------------------------

* Set datastage system functions

$include DSINCLUDE JOBCONTROL.H
Equate RoutineName To "GetPrevYear"
Deffun DSRMessage(A1, A2, A3) Calling "*DataStage*DSR_MESSAGE"
Ans = Oconv(@date,'DY') - 1
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you,
Anu
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

In a Job sequence, any routine you use, fails if the Returnvalue (Ans) is not equal to zero.

Hence, your routine is failing when you define the output condition as OK(since the output is a date) and the subsequent Jobs are not running.

What exactly are doing in your Job?If you can explain your design, may be we could help.
Kris

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson
sud
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sud »

You are computing the previous year in the routine. You can do the same in a set user variables stage(instead of the routine stage) by defining a new variable and calling your routine there. That way subsequent jobs wil run.

:)
It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for ETL, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous.
anu123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by anu123 »

Kris, thanks a lot for the quick reply.

My design is as below...

1) Get the Previous Year on your SYSDATE ( it returns 2005 now)
2) Pass this value ( 2005 in this case) to all my next Job Activities.
3) my undetlying jobs will use this value and pulls the data relevent to that particular year ( 2005 in this case)

kris007 wrote:In a Job sequence, any routine you use, fails if the Returnvalue (Ans) is not equal to zero.

Hence, your routine is failing when you define the output condition as OK(since the output is a date) and the subsequent Jobs are not running.

What exactly are doing in your Job?If you can explain your design, may be we could help.
Thank you,
Anu
anu123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by anu123 »

sud wrote:You are computing the previous year in the routine. You can do the same in a set user variables stage(instead of the routine stage) by defining a new variable and calling your routine there. That way subsequent jobs wil run.

:)
Pardon my ignorance, could you please elaborate it?
Thank you,
Anu
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

You can do what sud has suggested.
Alternatively,

What you can do is, Don't use the routine activity in the Jobsequence.Instead, in the Job activity stage, go to the parameter where you want to pass this date and then right click inthat expression box. It is similar to the Derivations in the Transformer Stage. Call that routine in there.

Hmm..Ok. I re-read your post and here's what I suggest. Since, you are using this date in more than one Job in your Jobsequence, sud's approach would be more sensible.Execute the routine in the Uservariables stage and then pass it to all the Jobs where you need to use this data.

IHTH
Kris

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Or just stick with an 'Unconditional' trigger.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
anu123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by anu123 »

chulett wrote:Or just stick with an 'Unconditional' trigger.
Thank you all.
Just want to make sure I understand it correctly.
Routine Activity fails unless untill the Ans = 0. When ever we use routine activity in Sequence jobs we use 'Unconditional' trigger.
Thank you,
Anu
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

anu123 wrote: When ever we use routine activity in Sequence jobs we use 'Unconditional' trigger.
That depends on what you are doing in your routine.
In your Case, as Craig has mentioned, Just pass the an unconditional trigger and you will be fine. In Job sequences, a Routine(activity) fails if the Ans is not equal to zero and you have defined an OK trigger.
Kris

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

anu123 wrote:Routine Activity fails unless untill the Ans = 0. When ever we use routine activity in Sequence jobs we use 'Unconditional' trigger.
As Kris noted, you need to understand the behaviour of routines, how triggers decide if they 'failed' or not and use them accordingly based on each case.

If you enable the 'Automatically handle activities that fail' then the Sequence job will look to see if you have handled the failure activity and, if not, it will attempt to handle it for you. And as noted, Routines that do not return a zero are considered to have failed. However, that doesn't mean you can't explicitly handle any so-called errors yourself. You could run both an 'OK' trigger and an 'Otherwise' trigger into a Sequencer set to 'Any' to disable the automatic handling that your Job Activities are leveraging. It would always take the Otherwise link, but let's just keep that between us. :wink:

You could also use 'custom' triggers where you explicitly check the returned value. One such scenario might be where you are returning a count from a routine, you may have three valid responses from the routine:

Code: Select all

$ReturnValue > 0:  Something to do
$ReturnValue = 0:  Nothing to do
$ReturnValue < 0:  Error occured
Each trigger branches to different sections of your workflow.

You could also know you will always be returning what the Sequence will consider a bad status from a routine that will never fail and so stick with an single Unconditional trigger.

All food for thought.
-craig

sb_akarmarkar
Participant

Post by sb_akarmarkar »

Anu,

There must be something else worng ... I dont see anything wrong in routine and keeping trigger as condtional = "Executed ok" ...

Thanks,
Anupam
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What's wrong is that Ans must return zero if an OK trigger is expected to fire.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sb_akarmarkar
Participant

Post by sb_akarmarkar »

ray.wurlod wrote:What's wrong is that Ans must return zero if an OK trigger is expected to fire. ...
I think Routine_Activity.$Jobstatus="Excuted ok" thats return 0 thats ok

But here is Routine_Activity.$Returnvalue should be equal to 0 is that you mean to say

here i worked with keeping trigger as condtional = "Executed ok" for routine for above example and working fine for me

Routine_Activity.$Jobstatus and Routine_Activity.$Returnvalue both are different

Thanks,
Anupam
vijayindukuri
Participant

Post by vijayindukuri »

Hi Anu123,
Instead of using routine activity use uservariable activity and call your routine there.It works fine.
Vijay
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

sb_akarmarkar wrote:Routine_Activity.$Jobstatus and Routine_Activity.$Returnvalue both are different
Yes, of course... but Routines do not have a $JobStatus - jobs do.

'Executed Ok' means 'returned a zero'. For jobs it is returned as their status, for routines as their answer.
-craig